Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy an old truck and work on it.Buy it low,and make sure its something that will be worth something in the end (as in,not a Ranger or S10 or Dakota...).It doesn't talk back,doesnt argue,wont belittle you,but can be high maintenance.Oh,and get a cat or dog too.

Originally Posted By: yannis
get rid of that Camry

+1

My Lexus has been the most boring, yet reliable vehicle I've owned.
It's rock solid and lame as a dead horse.
My 07 Focus was cheap, noisy, frugal and charismatic (in a pathetic yet endearing way).

Sometimes you can do all the good things, have hobbies, go to the gym..yada, yada, yada. Unfortunately they not be the solution. Several years ago, I was really going down the drain. My Physician (at a Med Center) perscribed 20 mg. of CeleXA. It really turned my life around. I went back and the doc asked how I was doing. I said 100% better but all was not perfect. I expected the dose to be the same. The doc came back with his superfisor and she sensed I could use another 10. She was right.

I can't emphasize enough to you that you discuss this with yhour physician. It is not in the class of Zanix. You can take it forever. It increases Serotonin in the brain. Just saying that you shouyld not dismiss meds. I owe my life to these meds...I take the generic version. Its citalophram.
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1701/citalopram-oral/details

Depression is a very complex issue, due to the variety of possible causes. Life events can cause temporary depression or a feeling of having the blues. However, as others have mentioned, there can be biological factors. Sometimes I think I was born clinically depressed. I contemplated suicide (seriously) before the age of 12. I grew out of some of that, but a lot of it lingered, and it made me physically ill over the years at various times, and lowered my resistance to infection. I have been on antidepressants now for a couple of decades and I'm never going back. I have normal ups and downs, but not the deep feelings of dread and worthlessness that came with my depression. I like my job. I love my wife. The antidepressants didn't do all of this, but by getting rid of some of the "background noise", I was able to mature emotionally in ways that I hadn't.

In any case, if your mood doesn't improve, get help. You may or may not need drugs. If you need them, take them. There's no shame in it, you need to do whatever works for you. Sometimes counseling is all you need. But you have to take the first step.

Talk to your primary care doctor. Get one if you do not have one. He may prescribe a Rx or refer you.

The only suggestion I can give you is that don't try and solve the problem by drinking or non prescribed drugs.

Originally Posted By: Oil_Flunky
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=depression+jordan+peterson Dr. Peterson, former Harvard psychology professor, currently teaching at the Univ. of Toronto, has a bunch of figurative gold on youtube for people suffering emotionally.

www.selfauthoring.com

Yes, you did the right thing by posting this on BITOG. It's a help forum.

I only heard of that guy on Friday, listening to one of my favourite (Chaos) podcasters...I'm impressed so far with a couple of days research (if you call youtube research).

Originally Posted By: Al
Sometimes you can do all the good things, have hobbies, go to the gym..yada, yada, yada. Unfortunately they not be the solution. Several years ago, I was really going down the drain. My Physician (at a Med Center) perscribed 20 mg. of CeleXA. It really turned my life around. I went back and the doc asked how I was doing. I said 100% better but all was not perfect. I expected the dose to be the same. The doc came back with his superfisor and she sensed I could use another 10. She was right.

I can't emphasize enough to you that you discuss this with yhour physician. It is not in the class of Zanix. You can take it forever. It increases Serotonin in the brain. Just saying that you shouyld not dismiss meds. I owe my life to these meds...I take the generic version. Its citalophram.
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1701/citalopram-oral/details

Exactly!
Drugs not hugs!
works every time
thumbsup2.gif

So having the brain tumor for a second time I’m pretty familiar with depression. My best advice is find a good therapist also just breather and try to be positive. Find something you love to occupy your time and try hard to find things that you enjoy and make you happy.
smile.gif
I hope that helps.

Okay....I am Bipolar and I hate depression. It sucks. There is no quick fix but the best advice that people have given is see your doctor. I went vegan and since I have I haven't had a major depressive episode. As for meds..Only a certified doc can help you with that.
P.S. I went Vegan because the meds I am on cause weight gain and other side effects but the benefits have been great.
Exercise helps
Try to get in the sun as much as possible..Get a mood light
Try being around positive people..When depressed no one wants to be around people but try
I have 2 dogs that really help. After a [censored] day I know I am going home to something that loves me
Try to get quality sleep
Make sure you eat foods that are not fatty...Avoid fast food..Quality food does make a huge difference in moods
Good luck and see a doctor

Whenever I feel down, overstressed, depressed.. etc.. I go and get one of my cats and give them a good long snuggle. Always helps buoy my spirits.

Do you have a pet you can do this with?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Buy an old truck and work on it.Buy it low,and make sure its something that will be worth something in the end (as in,not a Ranger or S10 or Dakota...).It doesn't talk back,doesnt argue,wont belittle you,but can be high maintenance.Oh,and get a cat or dog too.

I agree. I would probably give up if I didn't have my dogs and my old truck that always needs something, despite having two jobs and being a full time student. I need to have things to do, even if I have little hope for the future.

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Originally Posted By: wemay
Find professional help, '51. Not BITOG.

Doctor
Counselor
Church

This!

Scott

Yes, this!

Brother,

Talk to your Doctor to ensure this is not physical issue. If clear find a therapist. You have taken the first and most difficult step in acknowledging something isn't right.

Depends Wemay..

How severe the circumstance is what determines options and treatment ideas or plans...

If this is minor Car51 and has not been going on for say two months or more.... Simple changes may be all that's needed... Sleeping enough?? If not... Make that a real priority. Eating enough?? Make changes in order to enjoy/eat better. Not involved enough with others... Find good ways to do that.. playing hockey, other sports etc etc.

If this has been going on for a prolonged period of time like say 2.3,4 etc plus .. Then seeing a good therapist would be a great idea.

I lean against jumping right to medication treatment unless it has been going on for a longer time frame. Aka longer than 2 months. Another part of this circumstance is how severe depressed feeling one has been going through... If it is severe like having a lot of impact upon daily life and function... Like having a hard time working, relationships have been highly affected and in the most concerning circumstance like contemplating "not wanting to be here anymore"... Medication may well be a PART of a overall treatment program. Along with good talk therapist is a good way to go.

And has far as people saying this is not the place... I understand that point. And can agree to a point.

But I would much rather have someone talk about something like this.. anywhere, anytime, anyhow.. When any person gets or becomes silent about issues like this. . . Usually some very bad things can happen. Yes of course this is not a "first thought of place to do this". And I agree. But maybe for someone it could well be the one place where they are in contact enough with others where they feel ok enough to at least broach the subject. Which is not an all together bad thing. Yes there could be bad advice given here... But let's not kid OURSELVES.. bad advice happens from all walks of life including family, friends, churches, and therapist, and doctors as well. I have seen all of that FIRST HAND. So, good, bad or indifferent... I don't think any supposed place or group of people have ALL the right answers. In fact many times it is shocking how often in those places or people can really not be helpful at all.

Help, experience, strength and hope are to be considered on a individual basis.

Car 51 I am here for you if you need it. I hope what I've put on here is helpful in some way. Take care of yourself, get good sleep as it matters a whole lot, if a circumstance is bad at work... How can you change it?? How can you change how you look or feel about it?? What is your focus?? Is that negative or positive?? Are you taking time with friends enough?? And more questions as well. It is surprising just how much can change when we admit to ourselves that if we change how we handle, think about and look at circumstances... How much better things can be.

Hope you are hanging in there man.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'll second the physician consult. Physical things can cause this. I would have your vitamin D level checked. Check it before you supplent, so you know where to start and if its part of the problem. Its important, and low in many people this time of year. It can make you feel bad.

No reason to check your levels other than at annual physicals. You ARE deficient as food alone will not give you adequate Vitamin D from October to March over about 95% of the continental USA. For those that don't supplement or don't live in the tropics you are depleted of excess Vitamin D3 by around Nov/December. Half life is around 4-6 weeks last I researched. So supplement or go on vacation to Aruba for 3 months. Lack of D3 can affect your mood, SARS, and mess with your immune system.

My recommendation is to supplement from 2000-8000 IU of D3 per day. I've read numerous books on the subject, pro and con. Check out nutritionfacts.org or nutritionists Guy Daniels and physician Dr. Michael Holick for more information. Every adult should be taking 2,000-4,000 per day no matter what. And in the depths of winter, there's no part of the USA except Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands that produces adequate Vit D3 in your body from UVB ray absorption.

Heart thumping exercise. Read up on it, it's well proven to make a difference. What I have noticed is it needs to be a minimum of 5-10 minutes of running. Only about half a mile. I usually walk a second mile. Really can make a difference.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Oil_Flunky
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=depression+jordan+peterson Dr. Peterson, former Harvard psychology professor, currently teaching at the Univ. of Toronto, has a bunch of figurative gold on youtube for people suffering emotionally.

www.selfauthoring.com

Yes, you did the right thing by posting this on BITOG. It's a help forum.

I only heard of that guy on Friday, listening to one of my favourite (Chaos) podcasters...I'm impressed so far with a couple of days research (if you call youtube research).

Ivy league college lectures on psychology, from the classroom, posted on Peterson's youtube channel can be considered a substantial resource.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
You have taken the first and most difficult step in acknowledging something isn't right.

+1 ... car51, don't be afraid to talk about how you're feeling. The more you talk and analysis, and understand the situation, the easier it will be to find the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back