Delvac 1300 Super 15-40 vs Mobil 1 5-40 Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Shorter OCIs do not reduce wear rates.

To the contrary, it is actually the aging of the oil, developing the TBC barrier, that reduces wear rates.

Read my normalcy article and the SAE study referenced therein.

With short trip use changing the oil sooner gets rid of the moisture fuel dilution etc.

Was Dnewton refering specifically to short trip scenario? IDTS. It was a more generic usage for the Diesel Cummins engines, and that is nicht short tripping http://g.augme.com/7243

Originally Posted By: Shannow
re the SAE study...there's a bunch of UOAs on the way through the process in the life of the taxi fleet.

One of the oils goes from no detectable Fe to 155 ppm at 5,000 miles, then declines to 32 at the end of the 15,000 miles.

If you did a UOA at the end of the 15,000 miles, would you say that the oil was fine (on Fe)...well what happened in the middle ?

Did it "wear" badly from 3,000 miles to 5,000 miles, and then start to bury the Fe in a sludge layer after TAN crossed TBN ?

Dont forget that Fe enter to the tribofilm formation and could be used on the zinc and P glass. It is in better form to be used, very, very, very, very milled... So the maturation process could use it.

Thanks for all the input! To add a little info. I use my wife's car as much as possible for local trips. I purchased the diesel as at the time I had a 35ft fifth wheel I used to pull with. The truck DOES pull my boat to the ramp prob 4-5 times per month. So she does get a "little" workout on these trips. It does get to oper temps while pulling the boat. But its only 6 miles to the coast so does not stay there long. I DO make it a point to at least once a month take her on a "Sunday" drive and drive it like I stole her once up to operating temps. The truck only has 114,xxx miles and is almost paid off. So gonna keep her till one of us croaks. LOL. The last UOA came up great. No fuel in oil issues or anything noted. Just trying to get the best option for my current situation. Thus the 5-40 --- 15-40 question. Worth the extra $20 per OCI if the results are good. BTW, I live here in the west coast of Florida and have yet to find a HEDO 10W-30 anywhere. I think this may be a good option for my by reading the UOA's posted here on the matter. Any ideas where to find it? Good brand recomendations?

Thanks again!
James

Originally Posted By: JStep
Thanks for all the input! To add a little info. I use my wife's car as much as possible for local trips. I purchased the diesel as at the time I had a 35ft fifth wheel I used to pull with. The truck DOES pull my boat to the ramp prob 4-5 times per month. So she does get a "little" workout on these trips. It does get to oper temps while pulling the boat. But its only 6 miles to the coast so does not stay there long. I DO make it a point to at least once a month take her on a "Sunday" drive and drive it like I stole her once up to operating temps. The truck only has 114,xxx miles and is almost paid off. So gonna keep her till one of us croaks. LOL. The last UOA came up great. No fuel in oil issues or anything noted. Just trying to get the best option for my current situation. Thus the 5-40 --- 15-40 question. Worth the extra $20 per OCI if the results are good. BTW, I live here in the west coast of Florida and have yet to find a HEDO 10W-30 anywhere. I think this may be a good option for my by reading the UOA's posted here on the matter. Any ideas where to find it? Good brand recomendations?

Thanks again!
James
The Wal-Marts around here have the Rotella T5 10W30, along with Advance & Auto Zone. NAPA should be able to get Valvoline All-Fleet or Premium Blue 10W30 as well. I use the T5 in my old 6.2 GMC diesel, it definitely helps with cold temperature starting without using a block heater-although if I lived in FL it would just get 15W40, not cold enough to matter.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
This is the route I would go too-follow the severe schedule interval, run the lowest cost name brand 15W40 HDEO you can find, with a decent filter. Use UOA to make sure you are getting the moisture burned off, try to go on a long run, preferably working it via towing or hauling, at least once a month. That's the only way to be sure, at least it won't take you 10 miles to get it fully warmed up like us northern guys in winter!

Problem with diesel is it's distillation curve...

distillation-profile.jpg

You'll never get it hot enough to get it all out
Actually, I meant condensation (water) from short trip combustion, & from humid air (doesn't get any worse in the USA than FL for that)-good news is an '05 has no DPF system to get fuel in the oil from regen events. Unless he has injector problems? But the UOA would detect that too.

The question is what does the flushing of the engine do to the wear metal counts? This test is quoted often but what does it really mean?

10W30 is going to flow faster cold than 15W40, but FL isn't generally "cold", the difference is going to be nearly non-existent. Especially on a Cummins, which will outlast 99% of all Dodge truck bodies!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
10W30 is going to flow faster cold than 15W40, but FL isn't generally "cold", the difference is going to be nearly non-existent. Especially on a Cummins, which will outlast 99% of all Dodge truck bodies!

Difference in "startup wear" will be completely non-existant in Florida.

Both will fill the oil galleries at exactly the same rate...there is no "flow" difference at Florida temperatures with an engine oil pump doing the driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back