Deluge of spam calls

Yes, but only 8 today. Mostly from auto warranty companies, but the political calls are picking up too.
None of them know how to work an answering machine, so they don't get my business.

My spam blocker is my phone is off. When it is on, if I don't recognize the call, I look at my phone like it is a Reptilian dancing the cha-cha until it stops ringing.

Those are my spam blockers. They work.

Some people have the phone setups that mimic when someone blocks your number.. that works too.

wag123 - Regarding the whitelist phone...sound like a great feature!!!
A whitelist call blocker is the only way to go. It just works. I can also confirm that it works 100% with the OOMA Telo in the preferred series connection configuration (some phone systems and blockers don't). The phone(s) will not ring unless it is someone that you want to talk to. Zero spam/robo calls, and I know when they are coming in because the phones light up (at least a dozen times every day).

I never answer my cell phone because I never give out the number. If I answer my landline, and they don't speak within 3 seconds after I say hello, it's a robo call, and I hang up. Works for me.

I been getting huge numbers in past 30 days also.
I block them all but once or twice I made the mistake of calling back just curious what the scam/spam is.
That was a big mistake of course..

I never answer my cell phone because I never give out the number. If I answer my landline, and they don't speak within 3 seconds after I say hello, it's a robo call, and I hang up. Works for me.

Once the computers detect that someone picks up on their spam calls it now knows there is a person at home at that particular time. The flood of spam calls comes afterwards as the computer tells other computers.

I call them back and wait till someone answers which invariably is an Indian in Mumbai and I mess with them. I kept one person on the phone for 20minutes once than told him I only trust Pakistanis so can buy from him lol

Once the computers detect that someone picks up on their spam calls it now knows there is a person at home at that particular time. The flood of spam calls comes afterwards as the computer tells other computers.
I haven't received any increase in spam calls. They trickle in now and then just like they always have.

Same here-if the number isn’t in my contact list, and doesn’t sound familiar, it doesn’t get answered. The calls have been picking up recently, and are being ignored. They’re spoofing local umbers again, too, likely from outside the US-thought the big carriers were going to stop that?

Same here-if the number isn’t in my contact list, and doesn’t sound familiar, it doesn’t get answered. The calls have been picking up recently, and are being ignored. They’re spoofing local umbers again, too, likely from outside the US-thought the big carriers were going to stop that?

I can't help but wonder how many spam calls are made, before they score a hit, and someone actually listens to their speal, and buys whatever crap they're selling? As they say, still more proof the world is dumbing down.

My landline spam calls are actually quite few. Mostly because we changed landline carriers, and got a new phone number after we were living here only about 6 months. Our old number is dead, and it is listed in the phone book, not our current number.

Hope that person isn't a doctor or hospital calling about your wife/kid/pet that is injured.
If it was an important call like that they would leave a message. And maybe also try to contact the person through any other methods they have on file like a work phone, alternate phone and email or text.

If it was an important call like that they would leave a message. And maybe also try to contact the person through any other methods they have on file like a work phone, alternate phone and email or text.

Exactly. And if it was something horrific, you most likely wouldn't get a phone call in the first place. But rather your doorbell would ring, and there would be cop standing there, with his squad car parked in your driveway. I personally know 2 people who had to go through that.

I didn't have my new cell phone number just a few months when I got an alert from Capital One that my cell phone number was found on the dark web.I was wondering why I was getting weird spam calls.I only used it to call people on my contact list.Never put it online so I went back to AT&T and they seemed to think it was already on the dark web so I didn't change it but if someone calls not on the contact list it goes straight to voice mail.They are down to one a week now.

I get the usual garden-variety spam calls on my landline. Sometimes it amuses me to listen to their spiel and latest gimmick. The one that irritates a little is the one requesting a donation to some fund to benefit police officers. They've been calling us for 20 years with the same pitch every month, sometimes every week. I've never given them a dime. I never give out my cellphone number. I get a few wrong number calls on it, but not much spam.

I didn't think anyone still had landlines except for my 80 year old mother lol. She donated to a charity and they sold her info to other charities and she was bombarded nonstop for months. She'd swear at the callers and then we had Xfinity do something to make them stop. She learned her lesson and doesn't give her real info to people anymore like me

There poor schmucks who keep getting unwanted spam texts and calls cause I always transpose one number of my cellphone number now to limit my info being sold and getting spam calls lol. I never give my real name or phone number unless I'm dealing with a local,state or fed government entity everyone else gets my alias

Last edited:
Back