Delo XLE 15W40 Synblend

Noticed the Delo XLE 15W40 Synblend on sale at Walmart for $12.55 a gallon.

The TBN & HTHS numbers look good and the cold pour point is relatively close to most 5w40 full synthetics on the market.

Just haven't seen any UOA's or even VOA's on the forum for it yet. Usually just Delo 15W40 SDE & 5W40 XSP which even with the reduced Zinc & Phosphorus the wear numbers were about same.

Anyone running it or plan to run and send in a UOA?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Popsy
That can't be the real pour point, can It? Many 5W40 have higher pour point than that!

Could be since unlike the winter rating the pour point is not a reliable indicator of cold weather performance. Apparently the cranking viscosity must increase significantly at -25C.

I'd imagine the XLE 10W30 is extremely similar composition, and there are multiple VOAs on here. Although, I feel the need to say VOAs are not a valid indicator of how an oil will perform in a given engine. Many oils with very similar VOAs can perform very differently in a given engine.

Just browse the PCMO section to see how someone replaced one SN oil with a different SN oil and now has all kinds of fabulous subjective things to say about the new oil. Also you'll find plenty who think that a UOA that showed an increase of 3 ppm Fe on their report means they need to get their old favorite brand of oil back in their engine ASAP or it will expire shortly thereafter. If the oil meets your engine's specs, use it if you want. After specs being met, on-time maintenance is infinitely more important than the number of dollars spent on fluids and filters.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I'd imagine the XLE 10W30 is extremely similar composition, and there are multiple VOAs on here. Although, I feel the need to say VOAs are not a valid indicator of how an oil will perform in a given engine. Many oils with very similar VOAs can perform very differently in a given engine.

Just browse the PCMO section to see how someone replaced one SN oil with a different SN oil and now has all kinds of fabulous subjective things to say about the new oil. Also you'll find plenty who think that a UOA that showed an increase of 3 ppm Fe on their report means they need to get their old favorite brand of oil back in their engine ASAP or it will expire shortly thereafter. If the oil meets your engine's specs, use it if you want. After specs being met, on-time maintenance is infinitely more important than the number of dollars spent on fluids and filters.

Hey Chris, didnt you run the DELO XLE 10W30 a few times? Dont know if you posted a UOA on it or no. Glad you are well and here
smile.gif

I have 3 gallons of the Delo 10W30 XLE and 1 Gallon of the Delo 15W40 XLE in my 6.0 PSD right now. Kinda made a little "Blend" to get a slightly better HTHS number for the Florida summer coming up. Truck runs awesome on it! As many of you know, the 6.0 and other PSD engines are really particular about oils used since it is what fires the injection system.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I have 3 gallons of the Delo 10W30 XLE and 1 Gallon of the Delo 15W40 XLE in my 6.0 PSD right now. Kinda made a little "Blend" to get a slightly better HTHS number for the Florida summer coming up. Truck runs awesome on it! As many of you know, the 6.0 and other PSD engines are really particular about oils used since it is what fires the injection system.

A UOA of that would be interesting to see how the HEUI system shears it.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Hey Chris, didnt you run the DELO XLE 10W30 a few times? Dont know if you posted a UOA on it or no. Glad you are well and here
smile.gif

Yep, I've run several gallons of it since I bought it, used it in the Subies, and stepson's camshaft eater (err, Ram w/Hemi) and it's run great in all of them. OTTOMH I can't remember if I've had a UOA yet, but it's a really, really good oil and dual-rated (CK4/SN) so it's really a whole-fleet kinda deal.

Meets MTU type 3.1 too. How cool is that? I have a hankerin' to try Delo 600 next time around. I have 2 unopened pails of Delo 400 5W40 waiting for winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
Originally Posted by racin4ds

A UOA of that would be interesting to see how the HEUI system shears it.

I agree, may get off my cheap but and send a sample out once I get to 5000 miles. It takes awhile though as this truck is only used for hay and horse hauling... we usually put about 5-8,000miles a year on it.

Originally Posted by HDoilDude
Originally Posted by Bighorn2500

Just haven't seen any UOA's or even VOA's on the forum for it yet. Usually just Delo 15W40 SDE & 5W40 XSP which even with the reduced Zinc & Phosphorus the wear numbers were about same.

I searched and found this costly VOA that you can check out for free
lol.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...le-15w-40-ck4-semi-synthetic#Post5330686

Totally missed it scrolling through page after page, saw a lot of SDE and XSP but missed this one.

No problem, glad to help.

Its additive package didn't do much for me. I'm not saying it's not a great oil, just I found that there's better out there, for cheaper.

I get it, an oil is more than just its additive content. It's API certified, etc. but still. To each his own!

Last edited:
How would this Delo xle 15w-40 compare to Delvac 1300 15w-40 ck4/sn ?

Both claim to be Synthetic blends. Additives look similar to me, I'm no expert at reading lab reports.
I maintain a ram 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins here in FL OCI would be about 12,000 miles.

Originally Posted by Capt
How would this Delo xle 15w-40 compare to Delvac 1300 15w-40 ck4/sn ?

Both claim to be Synthetic blends. Additives look similar to me, I'm no expert at reading lab reports.
I maintain a ram 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins here in FL OCI would be about 12,000 miles.

I've used both in my Semi with a pre-epa 12.7 Series 60 engine. I haven't ran a UOA in a bit, but in the past the numbers that I got back on both looked incredibly similar. Both did a great job, and both still had life left when I changed my oil at 15,000 miles.

I haul reefer freight, and I'd say my average gross weight is 78,000 pounds. I'm based out of Idaho and I regularly haul loads back East to Virginia or to Alabama, then reload and head back to either Utah or Idaho.

I'm using Delo XLE solely based on it's price, availability, and past performance of Delo HDEOs over many years. In my opinion all of the major oil companies make very good HDEOs, and I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them, as long as they're approved for my engine.

I am going with the Delvac 15w-40 due to availability and It will be dirt cheap if the rebates show up. Thanks for input

Back