Deciding on which weight diesel oil for 2000 7.3L Ford Diesel

Yes. I just bought it. It is my first diesel. I'm learning all of the terms like "hpop" an "heui" for the first time.

I see the Ultra Platinum oil cleaning my engines so well that they run much better; i.e. smoother, less noisy, etc.. That is why I'm looking for an oil with a potent additive package. I have no idea what this engine sounded like or ran like when it was new so I want to clean up the inside of the engine as much as I can. With 287,000 miles on it, I should be able to get another 200,000 miles out of it with what I hear about the longevity of these engines.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into this procedure of vacuuming.
What is in Pennzoil that is cleans better than other oils
Yes. I just bought it. It is my first diesel. I'm learning all of the terms like "hpop" an "heui" for the first time.

I see the Ultra Platinum oil cleaning my engines so well that they run much better; i.e. smoother, less noisy, etc.. That is why I'm looking for an oil with a potent additive package. I have no idea what this engine sounded like or ran like when it was new so I want to clean up the inside of the engine as much as I can. With 287,000 miles on it, I should be able to get another 200,000 miles out of it with what I hear about the longevity of these engines.

Thanks for the heads up. I will look into this procedure of vacuuming.
It is not needed with regular oil changes. I tried it on the wife's 7.3 and it was a waste of time. Leave the engine bone stock .

I strongly reccomend 15w40 for your application. I do not like a 10w30 in the 7.3s. especially for your use and in your climate.

Forget fuel economy, if you want that get a car. Don't chase fuel economy on a truck, it is what it is; just enjoy the vehicle.

Engine oil weight will make no discernable difference in fuel economy on this engine.

The 7.3 is a great engine. I own more than one from new. Enjoy your purchase.

Get either a Tymar or Ford AIS severe duty intake. Order a 3.5” muffler delete from Riffraff diesel and have someone weld it in. Sounds great lets that 7.3 flow and you dont hear it in the cab. 15W40 every 5k and fuel filter every 10k and itll last a long time. My early 99 7.3 was the best truck I ever owned. Sold it to my friend its still rolling fine at 281k.

“With 287,000 miles on it, I should be able to get another 200,000 miles out of it with what I hear about the longevity of these engines.”

Do you know if the injectors have been replaced? The injector O rings like an oil with an ester in it. If when the injectors are changed it would be a viable thing to keep in mind. We have 8 powerstrokes with hundreds of thousands of miles. You will enjoy the truck.

David

“With 287,000 miles on it, I should be able to get another 200,000 miles out of it with what I hear about the longevity of these engines.”

Do you know if the injectors have been replaced? The injector O rings like an oil with an ester in it. If when the injectors are changed it would be a viable thing to keep in mind. We have 8 powerstrokes with hundreds of thousands of miles. You will enjoy the truck.

David
I don't know if the injectors have been replaced. Do you know what oils have esters in them?

What makes you hate thick oil?

I think people should use the thinnest oil that the owners manual will allow. There are a few posts from a few years ago where Caterham says he tries to use the thinnest oil he can when deciding what to use in his vehicles. I like the idea for the fuel economy, for the reduced cold starting stress on the engine, and a slightly faster rev when giving the gas to the engine.

The temp range is 10-100 degrees so 10w30 is the best choice. This is in my owners manual.
I don't think you are reading that chart correctly. If the temperature is consistently above 30f, Ford prefers that 15w40 be used. If the ambient temps are going to be below 30f more often than not, then Ford prefers 10w30. Also, 10w30 is not recommended above 90f ambient temps. It is OK to use 10w30 up to 90f, but it's not the best choice per Ford's recommendation.

Also, International originally designed this engine to use 10w30. I read this in an article about the Ford/International partnership for the 7.3L diesel.

I would definitely use 15w-40 with that injection system. Almost 250k miles on my 6.0 (has been our most reliable vehicle) using conventional 15w-40 changed every 5k (in the same geographical region as you). I've researched the shearing the injection system creates plus UOAs and it is always better to start with a 40wt...not a 30wt. When you really analyze a lot of the 30wt HDEOs will shear just into to the 20wt range, the 40wt starts higher and has more headroom in regards to shearing.

You will not see any fuel mileage benefits between the two. EPA prefers thinner oils because they are looking an the 'combined' small gain of hundreds of thousands of vehicles using the thinner oil...not just one vehicle.

Also, International originally designed this engine to use 10w30. I read this in an article about the Ford/International partnership for the 7.3L diesel.
The manual recommends 15w40 of operation greater than 10°. 95% of the people contributing to this thread recommend 15w40. You're dead set on 10w30, and that is fine. I'm sure your engine will provide you with many hours or service. What I am not understanding is the point of creating a thread about which oil weight to use when you have already decided.

Ford recommends using 5w20 in my wife's escape. I have used that, as well as 5w30 and 0w40. Currently have 0w40 in the sump. There is zero difference between the oils regarding how quickly the 3.0L V6 revs up. It is a very rev happy little engine, too. If you can't feel a difference in oil on a DOHC, 4 valves/cyl, undersquare 60° V6, then there is no chance you will feel it in an archaic 444 ci medium duty diesel.

Last edited:
People with decades of experience with the 7.3 are reccomending a 40 weight for reason. Go 5w40 if you want to, but not 10w30. This engine was intended for 40 weight by both ford and Navistar.

This engine uses a lot of oil for the Piston Cooling and to fire the injectors you're worn injector poppets will thank you for not using a 10w 30.

I know Blackstone and other people will say otherwise but in a fleet situation when 10 w-30 was tried as a poor man's alternative to 5w 40 for cold weather we saw a significantly elevated levels of wear metals, not a fan.

Diesel and 15W-40 is like apple and pork....why change a perfect pairing.

Cold climate - plug your truck in, its a diesel.

Just read any of the THOUSANDS of oil threads and pick an HDEO. Or, you can go on PQIA.org and look at numbers and make a choice.

I strongly reccomend 15w40 for your application. I do not like a 10w30 in the 7.3s. especially for your use and in your climate.

Forget fuel economy, if you want that get a car. Don't chase fuel economy on a truck, it is what it is; just enjoy the vehicle.

Engine oil weight will make no discernable difference in fuel economy on this engine.

The 7.3 is a great engine. I own more than one from new. Enjoy your purchase.

The smartest and most helpful statement here.

I think people should use the thinnest oil that the owners manual will allow. There are a few posts from a few years ago where Caterham says he tries to use the thinnest oil he can when deciding what to use in his vehicles. I like the idea for the fuel economy, for the reduced cold starting stress on the engine, and a slightly faster rev when giving the gas to the engine.

No, no, and nope. Learn the HEUI system, use 15w-40, and be happy. And whatever you do, DO NOT put gas to the engine. You'll be worried about much more than oil. You're welcome.

Last edited:
I am concerned about engine life and quiet operation. Not what some one on the internet says.

Back