decent tire deals at walmart

Had a wet week in San Antonio and found the ABS kicking in on a couple stops. 16 Ford Escape S.

That was enough for me. Tired of driving 30 miles one way to work on 3 different tires, with different tread depth.

Found some DECENT deals from walmart on Kumho and Goodyear tires.

Placed an order for the Kumhos, have the Goodyears on my wifes car.

Sadly, Discount tire has priced themselves out of competition for now.

My walmart tire center is ran by a older lady who really makes sure that stuff gets done. The key to getting a service done there is to take the 7am time slot, so you get in first and out first.

Also I learned that you need to specify for them to replace the valve stems, otherwise they will not do it. First time I ever heard that.

About $102 for mounting/balancing/road hazard/disposal for 4 tires.

1669301504311.jpg

Reactions: JTK
Did you have them shipped to your home or the store?

Agreed that the best tires deals can be had mail-order through wally.

Installation by them various from horrendous to mediocre. It's been a few years since I used my store for installation, but back then it was first come first served, so you pretty much had to leave your car or plan on camping out at the store for hours.

Did you have them shipped to your home or the store?

Agreed that the best tires deals can be had mail-order through wally.

Installation by them various from horrendous to mediocre. It's been a few years since I used my store for installation, but back then it was first come first served, so you pretty much had to leave your car or plan on camping out at the store for hours.
Always ship to store I don't lift a finger.

Nice!

Shipped to the store was a nightmare for me the last time I did it. They could only find 3 of my 4 and even that was over an hour of waiting. This was pre-rona as well.

lol, I could type pages about my recent Walmart tire fiasco, but I'll try to condense it.

- Ordered online ship to store, no notifications or tracking but eventually website shows they were delivered.

- Made appointment online, get to store, they have no record of appointment and can't find two of my four tires.

- Called 1-800-walmart, they can't track my tires and state to just wait a few days.

- Wait a few days, called a dozen times, walmart automotive turned their phone ringer off so don't answer 95% of the time.

- Talked to different department that handles internet orders, who found a tracking # for tires. The shipment got split up in FedEx's hands. A few days more pass.

- Tires arrived, I go there, and they can't find the other two that arrived the day prior.

- I go out on the stock floor and find them. They stated they didn't look there because they weren't supposed to be "there".

- They can't fit me in to get them installed, short staffed. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've driven to walmart to get it done.

- Made new installation appointment for a few days later, drive there and get there 10 minutes early. There is a sign on the door reading "Closed" and it won't open.

- Got really lucky there were still guys in the bay who opened the door and squeezed me in to install them, so I didn't have to make a 4th or 5th trip there without an appointment just to make one again for another later date, lol.

The installation itself went fine, were even inflated to the correct pressure. If I had to do it all again, there are definitely two things I'd do differently.

1) Wait until I happened to be at walmart anyway and make an appointment at the desk for installation, since they don't answer their phone.
2) Order the tires to be delivered to my house so I know where all 4 are when I go in for installation.

I'm sure some walmarts are better than others but at mine there is no "older lady who really makes sure that stuff gets done". Instead there are nomad employees being temporarily pulled from other departments, who don't like to hear the phone ring so turn it off. Every time I went in there was a different person at the automotive counter, wasn't just one rouge employee who decided they don't do phones, unless the others where just unaware that maybe something is wrong if the phone NEVER rings. Hmm, I wonder what the blinking red light means.

Last edited:
Ship to home was the only option they gave me. It was free, and then like @Dave9 said you can be sure the tires actually exist and are the ones you ordered before going to the store. Or you could go to any other shop as well.

Walmart tires online is my go to. Decent service' at the Lockhart,Tx store. Older lady is tire center manager here as well.
. Had a balance issue once. They corrected it immediately. Stuff happens. Would buy again.

Back