debating fram xg on my 2014 civic all opinions plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That XG with its 99% 20 micron media probably clogs up and goes into by-pass in no time at all.

This is a 2014 Civic being discussed in this thread ... so, I assume that the engine is probably in good shape/pretty clean. So, I don't believe that the Ultra filter will clog up as you stated. Besides, FRAM states that the Ultra filter is 99% efficient for all particles > 20 microns (which is essentially the same as 99% efficient at 20 microns) and will go 15,000 miles. I don't believe a filter rated this way will clog up on a well-maintained engine (before the filter reaches its rated mileage). However, if someone is worried about this, then by all means they should go with whatever filter they feel comfortable using.

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
Ok looks like an apology is in order for me here so to all the people I upset I truly am sorry. I know it was a noob question and to some of you frustrating seems some others freak about tolerances and flow....

I don't think you owe anyone any sort of apology, you haven't done anything wrong.

If it helps any, Fram makes the factory Honda filter (the "A02") and it is similar to a tough guard. I'm quite sure that Fram knows how to make a filter work fine in a Honda application, I wouldn't hesitate to use one if thats what you wish to do.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
This is a 2014 Civic being discussed in this thread ... so, I assume that the engine is probably in good shape/pretty clean. So, I don't believe that the Ultra filter will clog up as you stated.

But what if it's not in good shape because you inadvertently get a ruptured air intake duct and all those particles the size of 20 microns are by-passing your air filter? Your XG is gonna start loading up in no time.
grin2.gif

That XG with its 99% 20 micron media probably clogs up and goes into by-pass in no time at all.

Is this your new mantra to make yourself feel better for using those low efficiency XPs or something? Your statement is pure hog wash.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Is this your new mantra to make yourself feel better for using those low efficiency XPs or something? Your statement is pure hog wash.

Where you been? When the cat's away, the mice will play.
grin2.gif

You'll be fine with an Extra Guard.

I really don't know why FRAM makes the more expensive filters like the Tough Guard and the Ultra.

LOL ... looks like we just went into the Twilight Zone.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Where you been? When the cat's away, the mice will play.
grin2.gif

LOL, I smelled sarcasm immediately. Too funny.

Use the XG with confidence.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
You'll be fine with an Extra Guard.

I really don't know why FRAM makes the more expensive filters like the Tough Guard and the Ultra.

What??

I didn't think you liked the "cardboard" end caps.

Originally Posted By: ccapital83
Ok dumb as this is I really need help I personally love the Fram xg but have reservations because of the thick media and these civics having tighter tolerances and smaller pumps I'm concerned about not getting good flow and overworking my oil pump. I would really appretiate all opinions and or experiences good or bad even if you think Im being rediculous chime in lay it on me please.
It's the 1.8l i-vtech

The Ultra is over kill unless you run for at lest 2 Oil Changes. Also the Fram Ultra is not restrictive as you think. It flows very well.

However you can go with Fram Tough Gaurd and change at each Oil Change and its a good filter, personally I like the 7317, I know another size will fit.

Did you ever think about getting the Honda Filtech A01 ? Or the HEMP Synergy?
They sell them on Ebay or Amazon for good prices.

I have a Honda A01 in my Honda now and had a A01 in my last oil change that had near 7000 miles on the oil and I cut the filter open and posted the pics and the filter held up very nice.

Also I use Syn Oil.. Valvoline Max Life FULL SYN or Mobil 1 HM Full SYN.

However you might want to look on a bargin bulk buy on OEM A01s made by Filtech or the HEMP Synergy... They are known to have the best filtration and flow and the bypass is perfect and its SILCONE ADBV.

However the Fram XG 7317 will be fine IMO....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back