Dealership topped dexcool with green, what to do..

Status
Not open for further replies.
The system needs to be flushed out. It will gel up some kind of terrible. Out of curiosity, is this a turbo Cruze? If it is I'd stay away from it anyways. Too many water pump leaks and turbo replacements in my experience.

Originally Posted By: B25urgandy

walking away from this car/deal over a less than 5% of the coolant being green is overreaction. I think we'll ask the dealer to change it all to dexcool and if they don't budge to go 50/50 with us.

Yes, that's crazy. Any car that's 4 years old with any kind of mileage on it has been through Jiffy Lube and probably had some fluid topped off with the wrong thing. I wouldn't even worry about it, that tiny amount isn't going to hurt a thing.

But you learned a lesson, anything simple like this that you can do yourself...

I would ask them for the cost of a coolant flush and then DIY. I always replace all fluids on a used car anyway right off the bat and start my own maintenance cycle.

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
STOP....do not buy this car! This happened to a friend and it cost him hundreds to get the radiator,hoses,heater core and freeze plugs replaced.

Root cause of that was not any mixing of antifreeze. Thats other issues. Lets blame the correct things.

Happy to report the coolant change is happening today, along with some completing some open recalls.
Thanks all, they are doing it no cost to me along with what they are saying is a fully synthetic oil change.

I wished quik lubes and the like would note and tell the owner/operator about seeing a low or dirty fluid level and not just quietly top off. It seems more thorough than one of us going in and giving a disclaimer to not touch the fluids, or not to add fluids.

Just a simple note on the multi-point inspection receipt that states: PSF getting near the low hot mark....recommend drain and fill with ATF+4 within e next 10,000 miles/1 year"

Quick Lubes literally killed the hydraulic cooling fan out of the Lincoln line. They had a separate reservoir for the fan system, and they routinely were filled with washer fluid, brake fluid, or whatever.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
If it's one of the "all makes, all models" light green coolants, most of them are basically dexcool and it's probably fine. If it was anything else (including the darker green old-school stuff), flush the system thoroughly to avoid the stuff gelling up in there.

+1 I can't imagine the dealership still has the old school stuff. it's most likely an all makes/models that they use. I am surprised that the dealership wouldn't have dexcool in 55 gallon drums. I would have figured they would top a non GM car with dexcool versus the other way around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back