Dealer badge removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My 04 Saab had a dealer badge put on when I bought it new.

Finally took it off today after all these years, because it started to look bad. Used a heat gun and some floss, it came off easily, then I used goo gone and ipa to remove the sticky mess. I got all the adhesive, but there is a fine border that has a bit of discoloration, like dirt, that I cannot get off. I cannot imagine it is in the paint, ss the paint under the badge still matches the exposed paint fine, but goo gone, wd40, ipa, zaino zpc, etc don't seem to fix it. I've taken some iPhone pics, hope they show it otherwise when I check later, if not, I'll take some better ones in good light with my slr.

Thanks!

f60010ac.jpg

cc1e45c6.jpg

5021e410.jpg

fa7f5f3a.jpg

46490690.jpg

Try a good paste wax. Meguiars has a good cleaner wax, that will probably take that dirt out of the clear coat. It is probably build up that you really can't get to because the badge was there.

Those badges are the first things I take off when I purchase a vehicle.

Dave

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
Try a good paste wax. Meguiars has a good cleaner wax, that will probably take that dirt out of the clear coat. It is probably build up that you really can't get to because the badge was there.

Dave

Or you could tell the dealer to not put one on or you won't buy the vehicle.

Funny thing when I bought my Truck-new. They didnt put a Daytona Dodge sticker on it, about a year later, I put the tailgate down and forget my keys on the bumper and put a nice gouge in the bottom of the gate about where they put there stickers. So I went to the Dodge dealer next time I was in to actually ask for a sticker to cover the scratch and they wouldnt give me one, even though I bought the truck there. Said they dont hand them out and only the detail shop can "install" them, its a freakin'sticker. Anyway, I put a Moto-x-fox sticker over it, looks just as good.

Just realized the pictures I posted from my phone dont really show it.

I have polished over, no dice.

First of all, good job on the detail - the only thing I noticed was they look a little "cloudy" - maybe a little more polish/buffing would clear it up.

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
heh, never have bought, nor have my parents bought, a vehicle with any "badge", decals, license plate, or other etc. accessory for "outside advertisement" of a vehicle.

I've been lucky, the 2 used cars I bought didn't get badged yet (I apparently got them right after their inspection, but before they would have been badged....lol)

My 'rents on the other hand, got a Chrysler LeBaron from a buy here, pay here lot that was badged; and they put it in the deal for the lot to remove the badging (dealer logo + individual LETTERING on the rear trunk lid) and remove the front license plate advertising the car lot :)

Eh, you shouldn't have to advertise their lot unless they are PAYING you to do it.

I hear there's a small credit union locally here that will cut you a deal on your interest rate if you display their bank bumper sticker on the back of your car.....lol.

Last edited:
True, the photos didn't show the discoloration.

Had the same discoloration on the boarder of the badge when I removed them from my '06. Rubbed 3M's Cleaner Wax on it a few times and worked.

Originally Posted By: gtx510
clay, polish, then wax

The clay bar worked for me on a 2004 that had the badge on it until 2009.

I 2nd the clay bar as well. I'd follow up with Meguiar's cleaner wax. If that didn't work, I'd be looking at some WD40.

Use a fine polish like 3M Finese-It. I remove stuff like that with a razor blade. You have to be careful and know what you are doing. I used to own a body shop, and could take off pinstripe and dealer decals without any scratches in the paint.

My guess would be the little ledge created by the badge and adhesive was enough to let stuff collect there that shouldn't have, like acid rain, bird poop or other contaminants. That stuff didn't get removed when you washed the car, and it sat there and etched the paint.

I'm just guessing here, but I'd start with a really aggressive cleaner wax like nu-finish and then move to scratch-x and into rubbing compound, treating it like micro-scratches until you buff it out.

Let us know how it works out!

Why even start with a cleaner wax (which NuFinish isn't) and then move onto an actual cleaner? That's backwards, switch it around and proceed. You can use either ScratchX or a compound like Ultimate Compound. ScratchX is more for "spot" treatment. Your choice, but you really only need one. You will probably get more use out of the Ultimate Compound however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back