Dash cam

I'd like a good dash cam. I don't know the difference in wifi dash cams, lte, cloud dash cams. I have a cheap apeman cam that is too much of a pain. Everytime its full, you have to reformat the card. It does not even tell you when the card is full, you just have to check. I want a cam the keeps rolling over unless i tag something. I probably need 3 cams, or 2 that i can buy a spare cord and move it to the truck when i tow.

Thanks.

I have the Garmin 65w and have found it to be a good dashcam. It does continuous recording and overwrites the oldest non-saved video, so you can record forever without running out of space. You can also buy an extra magnetic dash mount on Amazon for $16 and move the camera from car to car, which is what I do. You can also put up to a 64GB micro-sd card, which will store a boat load of video.

One recommendation I have is don't get the "w", which mean ultra wide angle, because your video has almost no depth. It's actually very hard to see that a near miss is a near miss. I would gladly trade less field of view for better depth.

I'm currently looking at this dashcam:

overwrites old videos, automatically goes into parking mode, can do time lapse (1 photo every second), narrow-ish 125 degree video angle. The important stuff like number plates is very clear to see. You can also get a CPL lens to reduce glare and reflections, I would get that for sure. The camera reportedly can withstand very high temperatures for extended periods and keep filming, and if desired comes with a rear camera, full hd then vs quad hd for the front.

I don't want a bulky camera so I like this is fairly discrete with no built in LCD. Not sure if extra mounts are available seperately, only have one car myself.

and at night with the CPL lens. Raining too:

Last edited:
Viofo is a good one. I have the 3 ch now and I like it.

I had a Garmin but it succumbed to the Florida heat and in now only records a purple square 🥴

Thanks for the suggestions! I think i figured out the loop problem with my apeman cam. The G sensor will save clips when a bump is enough to trigger. The loops won't be overwritten and the card is full soon. I turned the G sensor off.

If this does not fix it, i will look at the cameras suggested here!

I didn't realize there's "wifi" and "cloud" dash cam. I though they are all SD card based. Also don't they all overwrite their old video when capacity is full?

Personally I'd be more concern about the card life, I'd pick something that's 'industrial' or high durability, something that uses SLC or MLC instead of TLC for storage so they are more tolerant of heat inside the car (it can be way beyond spec and leads to data loss, or wear out the firmware on the card and render it non bootable).

My truck, as well as my old WRX, have been hit in parking lots while parked several times over the years, and there’s nothing more discouraging than committing to put in the effort to maintain a vehicle and keep the finish looking good because you want to drive it until the wheels fall off, only to have someone ding it in a parking lot, or hit you and drive off.

So, when my wife was rear-ended (I had a forward-facing dash cam only), and we bought a new 4Runner, I decided to upgrade to a 2-channel dashcam that would record facing both forwards and aft.

We went with the VIOFO A129 ProDuo 4K.

It records in 4K facing forwards, and in 1080p from the aft cam.

I hardwired it, and it came with a little voltage measuring device that allows it to record when the vehicle is unattended, and has both motion detection and a vibration sensor. There is also an option to record continuously at a very slow frame rate to catch any and everything. And the little device will simply turn the cam off if your car battery reaches a pre-determined low limit, to prevent it getting too low to crank the engine.

Lots of other features, too. I did a lot of research and felt that it was the best value among the higher-end dash cams, and also, even though it’s much cheaper than the top of the line Blackvue and (I can’t think of the name of the other high-end cam), the video quality is actually better.

Im using a 256GB card (the max).

Here‘s a good review:

I'm currently looking at this dashcam:

overwrites old videos, automatically goes into parking mode, can do time lapse (1 photo every second), narrow-ish 125 degree video angle. The important stuff like number plates is very clear to see. You can also get a CPL lens to reduce glare and reflections, I would get that for sure. The camera reportedly can withstand very high temperatures for extended periods and keep filming, and if desired comes with a rear camera, full hd then vs quad hd for the front.

I don't want a bulky camera so I like this is fairly discrete with no built in LCD. Not sure if extra mounts are available seperately, only have one car myself.

and at night with the CPL lens. Raining too:

Ordered the single channel version of the above cam, with cpl lens. If there's interest I'll write a short review once I have it installed and experienced it. Maybe put some videos on youtube aswell.

Back