Dangers of Overfilling

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Alas, I've given up on getting the knuckle draggers who do oil change work to get it right (even my otherwise outstanding Toyota dealer's lube guys have overfilled my car twice). Now, I just give them my oil in bottles, with about 1/2 qt poured off into another container, just to be sure. After I get my cars home and on a flat surface, I give them some time to settle down, and then top them off precisely.

I'm certain the engine designers are as aware of these brain surgeons as we are, and accordingly, allow some dipstick saftey margin. Of course the question is how much. . .

Haven't these guys ever heard of a dipstick before??? Even my usually superb Toyota dealer (Bob Tyler, Pensacola FL) has done this to me twice. I now bring my containers with about a half qt poured off into another bottle so that they CAN'T screw it up. Telling the service rep to have the lube guy to hold off on the last half qt is futile. I just go home, let it settle for a half-hour, and then top off precisely myself.

tongue.gif

I completly understand that .75 of quart may not be that much. But thats not even the biggest point which is you asked for 6 qts and thats what it should have been. Trust me go in with your paper work from the service and tell them you want your oil drained to the proper level. they will do it. if they let to much out then that is thier problem to refill it to the proper level with the same oil you use. if they wont do it then contact 1800walmart and tell them what the problem is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back