Damping grease

I recently bought a used 2010 Harley Streetglide with the ”ride by wire” electronic throttle. The throttle is very sensitive to throttle input and deceleration. Even when going over bumps or dips in the road, the slightest movement of my wrist causes the bike to lurch, and on closing the throttle it’s very quick and abrupt, not smooth like my cable throttled Superglide. I’ve only owned it about 5 weeks but it makes riding a chore and not one bit enjoyable. I found an Oring that loosely fit the inside grip at the switch housing to see if the throttle would smooth out and it helped but I realized I might be on the right track in that friction on the throttle would dampen the abruptness. I remembered from my dirt bike days using electrical tape wrapped around the bars then sliding the throttle grip over the tape would help tame a twitchy throttle. Tried the tape and it helped more than the O ring but still not satisfactory. The throttle was still a “go or no go“ situation and not smooth when closing the throttle. I finally found a company that sells a clear heavy very tacky grease that won’t migrate/melt at temperatures up to 100 degrees C, won’t harm plastic grips or wire connections on the electronic throttle. It’s made in the UK by Newgate Simms chemicals and lubricants and distributed in the U.S.A. by Nye chemicals and lubricants. I got a 25 gram jar off Amazon from Berger Sciences In Michigan. The product is Nyogel 767A damping grease and it has made a very big difference in the smoothness and opening and closing of the throttle. I removed the throttle and applied the grease on the bare bar end then slid the grip on and tightened everything down. Damping grease has many industrial applications such as audio sliding controls, joy sticks for gaming, model planes, boats etc and I had never heard of such a grease before. I’ll be going for a longer ride tomorrow and I’ll check back for further info on how it performs.

I'm not a motorcycle guy, but is there no adjustment on the sensitivity of the throttle. I used to ride a lot in my younger days and can't imagine how hard it would be to ride with a twitchy throttle like that. Imagine one of the old Kawi Z1R's or the 2 stroke triples with that throttle. I would not be here today!!!!

I recently used the same product on my Triumph Tiger Explorer for the same reason. Prior to applying the Nyogel the throttle was very twitchy, especially on rougher surfaces. It is by far the most expensive grease I've ever seen, but it did exactly what it was meant to do.

Back