Damaged Spark Plug Hole - 98 Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
98 Expedition 5.4 4x4
Let me first start by saying that I feel like I have a pretty good feel for cross threading. I have done plenty of bolt installation.
Also when taking out the old plugs, some seemed looser than others.
With that being said my 2nd from front on passenger's side seems to have damaged threads in the head. Where all the others started to get seated after about 3-4 threads this one never seemed to get seated, just kept turning, I stopped at about 6 threads, I did not want to keep going.
I did have a timesert installed in cylinder 2 a long time ago, before putting in a used engine, but I don't know if the mechanic used my old heads or not. I don't even know if this is the same hole.
At this point, I feel like I might have to do an insert.
Is the Autozone helicoil repair kit as effective as timesert, or would I be better to invest into the timesert.
I will get a scope and inspect the threads to see what is going on, I can't get a camera to take a decent picture.

Do not use a helicoil. Time sert or Lock n Stitch but there are a few much cheaper options from other companies that made a decent insert kit from 100-200 bucks and use a real insert with cut seat recess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back