Damaged a rental car

AMEX platinum card also offers for I believe $35 per rental, premium all one can use rental car damage coverage. It is a great value, and covers premium cars. $35 flat rate per rental. The only downside, is one has to sign up for this program in advance, and every car you rent and use the AMEX card, you will be charged $35.
I have that. And I’ve used it renting Jaguars, Mercedes, and other nice cars.

But that was the past.

Hertz’s fleet is a collection of 40,000+ mile beater boxes now. Complete run of the mill garbage. High mileage Altimas and Corollas with worn rubber and thrashed interiors.

For very high rates.

The car on which the windshield was broken was an Infiniti - but nice cars are few and far between at Hertz.

I’ve got several hundred Hertz rentals - and was once Presidential. I’m still Gold.

I lament the loss of the company that once served me so well.

AMEX platinum card also offers for I believe $35 per rental, premium all one can use rental car damage coverage. It is a great value, and covers premium cars. $35 flat rate per rental. The only downside, is one has to sign up for this program in advance, and every car you rent and use the AMEX card, you will be charged $35.
Yes it works great. Once I had to use it… In Europe. Parked a twingo on a street in Collibrieres France, and the taillight got damaged.

3021BC52-2463-47C9-A534-62F2BDE1A1D4.jpeg

I thought it was going to be a huge hassle, but I filed the claim and never heard of it again!

I had no idea this existed, thank you! I enrolled for the $75k coverage but it took me a bit of digging to find it -

• Flat rate of $19.95 / $24.95 per rental period, not per day depending on your coverage selection ($15.95 / $17.95 for CA Residents; $12.25 / $15.25 for FL Residents).
  • Coverage is primary for theft and damage to a Rental Vehicle. If your rental vehicle is damaged, you can file that claim with us first as your primary provider.

I'm a huge fan of the platinum card, the annual fee is steep but I make it back and then some.

Last edited:
Update, Mastercard paid just over $11K of the $20K invoice. They declined coverage on " $4K loss of use", "$4K diminished value", "$500 administrative fees" and "$600 towing/storage". Their policy clearly states these are not covered.

In essence, they are covering only the damage.

Just a warning to those who use their MasterCard to cover rentals, you can still get stuck with a healthy bill. I'd guess other cards would be similar.

Remember, I was advised by my company not to choose the various forms of coverage on the rental contract, as we had coverage by the MasterCard.

Good thing my career is coming to an end, I'm sick of renting cars.

Remember, I was advised by my company not to choose the various forms of coverage on the rental contract, as we had coverage by the MasterCard.
One would have to read the terms and conditions of the rental company's Collision Damage Waiver (CDW). I speculate is dirty document, and even paying the full boat CDW, they still would be going after the credit card company, your company, and you, for some if not all of the outlandish charges, fees, etc,

Back