CVT Owners, How's Your Experience So Far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
The tranny in my 2008 Altima is CVT. Hope it lasts forever! So far so good, it works as it should. No shift shock, and for a 2.5 4cyl, the car hauls tail!

P.S. I will be purchasing an extended warranty with my "economic stimulus package" this year. Just in case something happens. Can't say the CVT is tried and true yet.

This is off-topic, but do not purchase the extended warranty from the dealer. You can buy the Genuine Nissan extended warranty online for about $1000 for the highest plan.

Where online is the plan available?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I'm going to let the public, who are the manufactures "field engineers" do my testing. The CVT is not yet a proven reliable product in my opinion. I hope it works out as the idea is fundamentally very sound but, then so was the Buick Dynaflow. To date, I have only heard or read about one owner who had 50,000 + miles on a CVT and it was good.

I'm sort of in the same camp. While I like the concept I've seen enough issues with some that I'll stick with my conventional drive trains for now.

The Nissan unit does however, have my interest. Maybe having been a snowmobile racer and builder for years is part of the reason.

I'm also curious to see how Nissan's CVTs (made by Jatco?) hold up over the years. The fact that they're using them across the line now implies to me they have reason to believe they're not significantly less durable than the older ATs they replaced (or maybe I'm just not cynical enough).

Do they have any maintenance requirements other than fluid changes?

I haven't had any issues with the CVT in my Dodge Caliber. 4 cyl engines work really well with the CVT. I have 40,000+ miles on mine with no problems.

Originally Posted By: jeremiah2360
This is off-topic, but do not purchase the extended warranty from the dealer. You can buy the Genuine Nissan extended warranty online for about $1000 for the highest plan.

Where online is the plan available? [/quote]
I guess I was wrong. They wanted $1600 for the plan, but they said they'd price match anyone else. Apparently you'll have to negotiate with them.
33.gif

First entry when you google Nissan Extended Warranty.

I have the CVT in my '08 Nissan Rogue. I only have 5,000km on it, but I am happy with it. It does take some getting used to, but once you get over that 'mental hurdle', you wonder why transmissions are made with seperate gears. Best of all, the Rogue is getting almost the same fuel economy (approx 26-27mpg) as my '03 Nissan Altima 2.5S with a 5spd manual (27-29mpg). This is despite the fact it weighs more and probably more drag.

A good friend has a Versa with CVT and he enjoys it during his busy city commute. He has far more miles/km and hasn't had any issues. From what I've seen /read, Nissan's first introduction of CVT's in the 2003 Murano had some issues, but it seems they have gotten over many of the teething problems.

From a performance perspective, IMHO the Jatco CVT is far more responsive than some automatics I've driven. I did test drive a Rogue with the manumatic shift option (paddle shifters with 6 distinct ratios) and quite honestly I felt it was a novelty at best. If I want to shift gears, I would buy a manual instead. Man I miss my old racecar... a Nissan 240SX!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Rabbler:

Which CVT equipped cars have you driven?

An old Subaru (it think that what it was)a long time ago
and the Dodge Caliber.

Maybe I'm too old school but CVT just doesn't appeal to me.

Rabbler:

I was just curious. Obviously, we all have our own preferences. Beyond that, different CVTs, just as with different sticks and autos, will have their own advantages and disadvantages. As all can obviously tell, I find the performance of the transmission in the Prius to be nearly flawless. I particularly enjoy the smooth sliding up or down to the optimum rpm range for whatever the conditions. Multi-stepped autos seem primitive to me now -- what's the need for clunking from one gear to another. I've been driving since 1975, and the Prius CVT is my favorite transmission so far.

I've put about 5K on the girlfriend's Murano now. It's not bad for strictly normal driving.

I find it fast to respond to little changes in throttle but too slow for big changes. It's slower to hit full rpm at WOT than my TL that has to drop two gears....and that's slow.

Climbing a hill (in sport mode), I surpisingly like it a lot. I feel like I have much better control and modulation when crawling real slow on slippery surfaces.

Decending a hill, forget engine braking. I've tried it in "low" and in "sport" and there's no engine braking unless you're going 25mph or faster. Pretty useless for off roading.

If left in "drive" and slowly climbing a steep hill, it locks the convertor and brings the rpms down to 1200 while I'm at 1/2 throttle and causes the motor to ping like crazy. In sport it's ok.

Originally Posted By: Louie's gone fishing
Don't some of these CVT's have artifical steps in them to simulate a traditional tranny?

IIRC, the Nissan models come with selectable "manual" mode that makes the CVT change ratios in steps, like a traditional auto.
===================================================

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Decending a hill, forget engine braking. I've tried it in "low" and in "sport" and there's no engine braking unless you're going 25mph or faster. Pretty useless for off roading.

In standard "D" mode, the Prius behaves this way. You get some drag from the regeneration, but nothing like what you get from either a manual or normal auto. The HSD cars have a "B" mode as an alternative. It's meant for long descents, as when coming down from the mountains. It serves two purposes. First, it does perceptibly increase "engine braking" effect. The real reason for its existence, however, is so that after you fill the battery up, you don't have to overuse the friction brakes.

Once you've driven a good CVT, shifting gears seems so ... primitive.
cheers3.gif

That is hard to believe that someone who knows how to drive a manual transmission properly by paying attention and matching revs can think its primitive, especially compared to a CVT.

The CVT does nothing better other than not shifting gears, because you are lazy or are in bumper to bumper traffic. It is not more efficient, smoother, nor has direct drive. It is simply a more efficent substitute for an automatic.

If you live in gridlock, makes sense. If you don't - take control of your driving.

There's a reason 99% of racing cars are manual clutches or paddle shifted clutches. There's also a reason Toyota has a Prius with a manual clutch with paddles running around as a test mule. It is more efficient, responsive, easier to control. Just need to pay attention.

Believe. I've owned six different manual trans cars in my 30+ years of driving (VW Beetle, a couple V-8 Trans-Ams, a Jetta, a Civic, and an I-4 Camry). I can shift a manual very well, thanks. The fact that you have to manually manipulate the ratios between your engine and the wheels does not equate either to control or to superiority relative to any other design.

Yes, I find stepped ratios primitive compared to a transmission that's always free to select exactly the right ratio at any given instant. No compromises as are ALWAYS present in a trans that must necessarily select a ratio that's either slightly high or low.

The Prius CVT (or whatever you want to call it) is 100% directly connected, all of the time. The wheels are hard geared to the outer ring of the gearset. The ICE is geared to the middle ring, that carries the planet gears, which are geared, always, to BOTH the outer ring AND inner shaft. The inner shaft goes directly to the small motor generator. And it's a system with no wasted motion. For example, when idling at a standstill, the outer ring is stationary (since the wheels are stopped), and the turning planet gears rotate inside the ring, and turn the center shaft, which charges the battery. So unlike a conventional auto, which would waste such motion by converting it to heat, the HSD cars simply save the energy for later use.

Look, you're entitled to your own opinions and preferences. But don't assume that YOUR opinions and preferences are somehow superior to anyone else's. If you don't want a CVT, good heavens, don't get one. I like the one I've got, and I'd get another in a heartbeat. I don't sell them either.

As I've said before, I've seen no evidence of the existence of a manual Prius running around anywhere. Obviously, if it exists, there's a reason it's not for sale in dealer showrooms. And if it does exist, it's a totally different design than the HSD cars, as with those, the motor-generators are an integral part of the CVT design. Got a picture of that car???

. The fact that you have to manually manipulate the ratios between your engine and the wheels does not equate either to control or to superiority relative to any other design.

That's the part you don't get. You do. Or you aren't in control, whether its the gears or the gas. You need to be in charge of both. Driver is still more important than a computer. It has eyes.

Try driving a CVT around Indy or Watkins Glen. or an Automatic. How does it do? Lap times, fuel consumed, consistent grip? Already been tested. Question answered.

The HSD still slips based on planetary gear ratio slippage. It is a compromise trying to blend power sources. However, the hybrid is the reason the efficiency is so high, NOT the transmission. In city driving only, because of the regenereative braking and better efficency of the HSD over an automatic.

No, I don't have a picture of the manual Prius, but Google hybrid 6-speed Supra JTCC. They are doing it for a reason. Trust me, I've talked to Toyota.

It is simple physics. They don't sell it simply in the US- because it requires paying attention.

Nobody is saying the Prius sucks. It is a great feat of engineering, but it is niche and is version 1.1 of hybrids.

That's all. Don't take it so personal. And don't say it is primitive or the end all solution.

If you don't drive in the city, a diesel manual Civic or Focus will run circles around a Prius in mixed and highway driving with lower emissions (with an SCR cat) and far better performance. And it does not handling like an appliance.

There is no one solution currently.

A Prius in city driving will do the same to these cars.

Quote:

No, I don't have a picture of the manual Prius, but Google hybrid 6-speed Supra JTCC. They are doing it for a reason. Trust me, I've talked to Toyota.

As RR used to say, "trust but verify" (1). Pictures or backup data showing the existence of a manual Prius are needed.

(1) Ronnie's way of saying [censored]

ff:

I'm not taking it personally at all, and I get that you're not saying that the HSD cars suck. And while much of what you are posting is obviously correct and reflective of understanding automotive tech, some is incorrect. Take this statement for example:
Quote:
The HSD still slips based on planetary gear ratio slippage. It is a compromise trying to blend power sources. However, the hybrid is the reason the efficiency is so high, NOT the transmission. In city driving only, because of the regenereative braking and better efficency of the HSD over an automatic.

Now, we may be having a semantics problem here (in defining "slip"), but no, the HSD transmission does not ever slip. At least not the way a conventional auto does. In a conventional auto, when you're stopped (as in my example above), the transmission is slipping in the sense that the torque converter is allowing the engine's output to be totally wasted by converting it to heat instead of motion. In the HSD cars, the ICE's output, applied to the "middle" of the PGS can go only one of two places (or both at the same time). It goes to the outer ring and moves the car, or the inner shaft and gets converted to electrical energy, which is then stored. It is mechanically impossible for the ICE to run and have BOTH the ring AND the center shaft stopped at the same time.

I suppose you could say what I'm describing is "slippage" in that the ICE is running, but the car isn't moving, but in my view, the term "slippage" includes the concept of "wasted movement," and in the HSD, the movement is certainly not wasted, since the energy involved is recaptured for reuse.

Now, as to the "control" thing, I must stubbornly disagree (and wonder if you're a "control freak"
wink.gif
). We're talking about a street car here, not a race car. Frankly, I feel MORE in control (for transport driving) of this car than I do with other cars. There's never any of the neck snapping "bwaaaa" downshifts you often get with cars with small I-4s bolted to slushboxes. And I simply never need the sort of control that's arguably there with a manual on a racetrack. And why do high tech racers often have the paddle shifters? So you don't have to take your hands off the wheel. I don't have to take my hands off the wheel to shift -- ever. How many street manuals offer that control advantage?

Last point, though this is probably as much a programming thing as it is an inherent advantage. On the highway, the HSD advantage is much more pronounced than most who've never driven one understand. The car is rarely, if ever truly "steady state". Even on flat ground, steady cruising, it's constantly cycling. It'll run ICE-heavy for a while (with mpgs lagging a little and the battery SOC climbing), then it'll subtly shift the emphasis to the motor-generators (and mpgs climb and SOC declines). In other words, the car constantly makes the most of it's two drive sources.

Last edited:
Also, the hybrid Supra replacement does not appear to be a manual trans hybrid at all. It's an HSD car just like the Prius, Camry, Highlander, RX, GS, etc. It's described like this:
Quote:
This is accomplished by combining a 3.5 L V6 and an electric motor in a manner similar to the Lexus GS450h.
I know it's a Wiki article, but see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back