CV / Rack and Pinion Boot Clamp pliers

I need to replace the rack and pinion bellow boot / inner tie rob boot. What pliers / tools would you recommend to tighten the inner boot clamp?

Attachments

• RPB.jpg
    RPB.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 84
I've used the HF end cutters with the edges dulled a bit so they don't cut through. But the real pliers are pretty cheap.

I’ve been using Oetiker clamps for a while. Stainless steel ear clamps. One time use.

OEM on Volvos and very convenient for most places where you would use a hose clamp. They go on quickly, hold tight, don’t loosen and are cheap.

CV boot clamps are basically big Oetiker clamps.

So, Oetiker clamp pliers. Name brand are moderately expensive. Lots of knock offs out there, but I prefer good tools. I recommend the kind that have both the front and side clamp in the pliers. Particularly around CV boots, you might need the versatility.

I’ve been using Oetiker clamps for a while. Stainless steel ear clamps. One time use.

OEM on Volvos and very convenient for most places where you would use a hose clamp. They go on quickly, hold tight, don’t loosen and are cheap.

CV boot clamps are basically big Oetiker clamps.

So, Oetiker clamp pliers. Name brand are moderately expensive. Lots of knock offs out there, but I prefer good tools. I recommend the kind that have both the front and side clamp in the pliers. Particularly around CV boots, you might need the versatility.

From what I can see the clamp on my Toyota Highlander looks similar to Oetiker Clamps.

The mechanic that replaced that on my former Sienna use the hose worm gear clamp.
It was fine till I sold it close to 250k miles.
The clamp was put on around 140k miles.

Last edited:
Knipex 10 99 I220. $30ish on Amazon. I had to pick this up to take care of a few Oetiker clamps but I have to “re-boot” a Subaru soonish. It would be nice to have it on hand, if the service kit has ear clamps.

Last edited:
Are you ordering these individually (From the dealer) when performing steering rack boot or inner tie rod replacements? Some OEM's do not list the clamp or clamp sizes in their catalog.

Back