Cutting Wet Grass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally don't cut wet grass but I was away from home for two weeks, back home for two days and then had to leave again. The forecast was was for more rain so I decided to bite the bullet and cut the grass while it was still wet. It was about 6 inches long.

Here are my findings:

1. Forget about using the mulch or bagging features. Everything clogged. I dug out the plastic diverter that came with the lawnmower and put it on. Good thing I didn't chuck it away. It kept the " side door" open and allowed the grass to be launched sideways.

2. I changed the spring on the carb to the 2nd position on my Honda GCV 160. Someone else mentioned you can get more RPM by doing this and it's true. That 2nd hole is not there by accident.

3. Watch the discharge. If it stops, you might as well stop the engine and clear it out.

4. Safety tip: Don't clear the the diverter using your hand with the mower running. I know a guy who can only order 3 beer because of this.

5. Take a smaller bite with the mower. Takes longer but you don't have to clear it as often.

6. Your lawn will be covered in clumps of gas. Run the mover over it if it ever dries out.

7. Wash the underside afterwards. It will be packed with wet grass.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
The exact reasons why i never cut my grass when wet.
Have done it a few times like you because of circumstance, what a real pain in the A$$

Thanks for the info on the second hole for the governor spring. I have two Honda powered mowers, a 160 and an 190. Both run about 3000 RPM, a bit lower than I'd like.

Sometimes you have to mow wet grass so the sun gets down to the earth so what's there can dry out.

IOW, 9-inch tall grass is a humidity trap that self-perpetuates its ugliness.

Washing the underside is rarely done. I let so much stuff accumulate and dry out that when I pull the chunks off (satisfying!) the deck is noticeably lighter.
lol.gif

Always 'thank you' for any tips large and small. This goes for everything and everybody....

....but # 4 did seem a little obvious.

I grab a fallen branch to poke about the discharge chute if I clog up while mowing wet grass.

Also, when my wet cuttings make their own windrows my mower can't reach 'em. Going over them is ineffective.

I hit 'em with a hand rake. That's the grass where I am.

I always have to mow wet grass here in spring. My mower came with a discharge chute but I haven't used it once in over 20 years... can't remember where I put it, lol.

I just mow slower, and overlap my path because it leaves a trail of grass that a second pass over helps to redistribute in a thin layer. I also need to clean the deck partway through spring. Spraying the underside of the deck with cooking oil helps to slow down grass buildup, and it comes off easier when I pull the deck to swap in sharpened blades. Sharp blades help a lot.

More than anything the PITA of mowing wet is the green goo that builds up everywhere, including places like the fan mine has that blows over the differential. Heh, I never even thought about changing the oil in the dff, should get around to it some year soon!

Ehhh, the lawn will live. If its really tall, go over it twice and raise the mower wheels a notch on the first pass. Most of my neighbors hire lawn services but, I cut my own for the same reason I change my own oil -because I can and because I enjoy it. Anyhow, if possible, cut your lawn each time in a different pattern (left-right and opposing criss-cross). This way, the droppings don't clump-up in the same spot.

So... have you noticed if the grass looks better when use 0w-20 or 5w-30. I think a little zinc additive helps too (Uh Oh... I hope that doesn't trigger a few of the regulars here. I heard a few brands year models of Briggs/Stratton engines had problems with their flat tappets
28.gif
).

I have mowed the wet grass when necessary but try not to. Currently mowing over an acre on a hill with rider only so it does make the hill portion very slick when wet. The tires also tear up the yard quite a bit more. I am noticing the rear wheels for past 3 years and 100 hrs have worn to the point of not holding the dry hill as well and sliding a bit more.

I put synthetic oil in motor and changed from the mini briggs filter to a fram 3600 (orange can) They didn't have any of the others and it was a better option than the briggs filter IMO.

What I am so surprised is how clean the oil actually is compared to how it used to get on conventional and the mini briggs filter. Did not expect much of a difference so it could be the oil and filter combo. It used to turn dark in 10-20 hrs on briggs oil and I know some will say dark oil doesn't mean anything. Clean looking oil to my eye is preferred though. I am noticing more smoke on start up though so not yet sure why but it doesn't really use oil so far 350 hrs on the briggs 22HP and going strong.

The contractors for our HOA management company cut/maintain the laws around here, but I get LIVID when they INSIST on cutting it WET and blowing all of that wet grass onto my WET car to help out the acids in such etch into my paint!
mad.gif

I hate the grass-stained shoes & fingers.
No more. Always cut dry or semi-dry.

I never never never cut wet. Seems like I am the only person that doesn't. I have been cutting grass for 60 years and ever lawnmower I have used (12+) the grass sticks to the underneath. Yes I have used silicon.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
My push reel mower works just as good on wet grass as it does on dry grass.

I have one too. It's a Scott's 5 blade 16". Last year while walking the dog, I found it in a neighbor's trash. Whoever assembled it had no clue what they were doing. The handle was on backward and the bottom cutting bar was 1/4" away from the reel blades. It was in 100% mint condition other than being assembled bass-ackwards. After adjusting it and honing the blades with some valve grinding compound, it's been my primary mower for the roughly 800 sqft of grass in the front of the house.

I wish I had my Dad's old reel mower. It was an early 50's Craftsman. Solid and reel spun so smooth. I used it myself only a few times in late grade school but he retired it and got a gas lawnmower.

Ray

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
2. I changed the spring on the carb to the 2nd position on my Honda GCV 160. Someone else mentioned you can get more RPM by doing this and it's true. That 2nd hole is not there by accident.

Is it as simple as you describe ? I have a Honda mower w/ the GCV160 engine and as soon as I post this, I'm going to look at this.

Said I was going to take a look and I only found one carb-related part with (2) holes (one in use). There's a spring going from the carb (behind the air filter box) at a slight downward angle to a linkage piece. Moved the spring to the "farther" hole and it seems to be running a little bit faster. Can't be more than 100-200 rpm from the sound of it though (??). The first time, it ran a little rough so I removed the air filter and it started running much better. Maybe that wasn't necessary and the carb just needed a minute to self-adjust (??). Air filter is back in place and it's running smooth.

I normally don't cut wet grass but I was away from home for two weeks, back home for two days and then had to leave again. The forecast was was for more rain so I decided to bite the bullet and cut the grass while it was still wet. It was about 6 inches long.

Your grass needed cutting BEFORE you went away for two weeks. Either that, or you over-fed it with nitrogen fertilizer, just before you left.

Rule #1002 .... never fertilize just prior to two week vacations. You did get the BITOG amendment-memo for this on December 31st, 2017.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Your grass needed cutting BEFORE you went away for two weeks. Either that, or you over-fed it with nitrogen fertilizer, just before you left.

Rule #1002 .... never fertilize just prior to two week vacations. You did get the BITOG amendment-memo for this on December 31st, 2017.

Actually, good call. I had the fertilizer on with no results for a few weeks, and then when I left (to go on a consulting job) we got a lot of rain resulting in the dramatic grow.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back