Cute little motor, but where is the oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No filter. I emailed the guy sometime last year about this little engine and inquired what kind of oil he ran in it. He uses Castrol Syntec 5W-30.

Reminds me of the 260 ci V8 they used in the late 70's to "save gas".
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
wink.gif

That would be the 267 ci V8 that had a measly 115 Horsepower.

Originally Posted By: c3po
wink.gif

Oldsmobile had a 260 CI V-8 around that period, too. Probably about the same power level.

And a bit earlier than that, Chevy had a 262 CI V-8 they put in the Monza and Nova for only 1 or 2 years (1975-1976?)

Oh, and don't forget the '255' V-8 ford put in their cars in the late 1970's/early 1980's.....everyone was doing it!

Wasn't the first SBC 265, and filterless ?

I've had 3 Holden 253...less power than the 308 and the same fuel consumption...cylinder heads are larger than the bores.(designed for 4" bore, and the 253 is 3.625")

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
It's right there in the lower right area behind the exhaust manifold and pipe.
The black cylinder.

Chevy-side3b.jpg

It's probably hollow. It would be very hard to make a real filter for it ..maybe one of those sintered metal types if you could find one in just the right size.

Quote:

Oldsmobile had a 260 CI V-8 around that period, too.

I owned one. 110HP I believe; it was planted in a 76 LeMans that I bought for $150 as an estate sale (50K miles); Drove from Hartford CT to Burke VA and back all in one day to pick it up, and once it hit the New England weather, it rusted in front of my eyes; sold it to a coworker for $600. I never owned a car that would downshift into 2nd on the highway trying to climb the smallest grade....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: c3po
wink.gif

Oldsmobile had a 260 CI V-8 around that period, too. Probably about the same power level.

And a bit earlier than that, Chevy had a 262 CI V-8 they put in the Monza and Nova for only 1 or 2 years (1975-1976?)

Oh, and don't forget the '255' V-8 ford put in their cars in the late 1970's/early 1980's.....everyone was doing it!
Ford used a 221 cu in V8 in the early 60's.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Wasn't the first SBC 265, and filterless ?
[SNIP][/SNIP]

Sure was.

I reckon the Auto-Rx dosages for this little engine would need to be dispensed with an eyedropper! It's cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back