Not open for further replies.
Borrowed from Wolverine site [removed non-sponsor link]

Is it true?
filter_inlet.jpg

fram_bosch.jpg

amsoil.jpg

filter_media.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea true i look for that also flow restrictions,less likely for your block bypass to activate.

here's a ST..pretty tight also

DSC01130.png

here's my Fleetgaurd and AC delco UPF,notic the nice gap.

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture002-2.jpg

I think trying to measure filter restriction via the eyeball is pretty tricky business.

This is made evident by his claim that the Fram orange can has "way too much restriction", which is patently false. You can search the forum here for plenty of evidence to the contrary.

The fram filter may be a lot of things, but "restrictive" certainly isn't one of them.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I think trying to measure filter restriction via the eyeball is pretty tricky business.

This is made evident by his claim that the Fram orange can has "way too much restriction", which is patently false. You can search the forum here for plenty of evidence to the contrary.

The fram filter may be a lot of things, but "restrictive" certainly isn't one of them.

I realize that..BUT it does give some indication,looks tight to me...

Amsoil really isn't the first in anything. haha. They claim First in Synthetics, wrong. First "nano" filter, wrong. Maybe the first to make claims that they are better than everyone? Amsoil upsets me, good oil or not, they are the most pushy people I have every talked to.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Amsoil really isn't the first in anything. haha. They claim First in Synthetics, wrong. First "nano" filter, wrong. Maybe the first to make claims that they are better than everyone? Amsoil upsets me, good oil or not, they are the most pushy people I have every talked to.

I know there not first in synthetic filters.

Amsoil was not the first in synthetic oil. where do you think the founder got the idea?? from aviation. Maybe the firt synthetic to get an API certification, but thats not what they claim. They sate, "first in synthetics".

Amsoil is just too pushy in my book. Good Oil Yes, Maybe good filters, but I STILL won't buy from them just on tact alone.

I was curious too on how people are cutting these filters open? Using a Dremel? or? I know the K&N can is pretty thick so whatever it is must be very sharp.

I was curious too on how people are cutting these filters open? Using a Dremel? or? I know the K&N can is pretty thick so whatever it is must be very sharp.

Filter cutter,,it's like a big can opener works the same way.

Originally Posted By: JOD

Exactly ... need to run the math to see what's going on.

Assume the filter can is 3.00" in diameter, and the end caps are 2.875" in diameter. That leaves just a 1/16" gap around the circumference of the can for the oil to go through.

The area of that 1/16" ring is 0.58 sq-in.

The diameter of the center hole in the base where all the oil enters the engine is about 3/4" diameter, which equates to 0.44 sq-in.

So, the 1/16" gap around the can's circumference has more area than the main center hole in the base.

The thin gap around the can's circumference is visually deceiving and looks restrictive, but it's obviously not.

Not a bit of turth reguarding the clearance of the oil flow. It is a statement fot those that do not know. Besides amsoil isn't first in anything. Donaldson and fleetguard used the "syntec" type media years before Amsoil decided to be first to use it.

Originally Posted By: daman

Do you guys know where to buy a filter cutter? Is that what they are actually called?

Do you guys know where to buy a filter cutter? Is that what they are actually called?
+1-I'd like a less messy way than the Dremel too!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Not a bit of turth reguarding the clearance of the oil flow. It is a statement fot those that do not know. Besides amsoil isn't first in anything. Donaldson and fleetguard used the "syntec" type media years before Amsoil decided to be first to use it.

You wouldn't know the "turth" if it bit you in the rass. This is a statement for the unbiased:

Amsoil drove the extended oil change market and to a large extent the synthetic oil market - in fact I ask you all these so called synthetic oils on the market in the last 5 years or so....they just randomly popped up? I'm not saying they are necessarily responding to Amsoil, but who was already there?

Amsoil never claimed they are the first to produce a synthetic oil. Amsoil was the first API synthetic oil. They were the first with synthetic uni ATF. First with a 100:1 2 stroke oil. Amsoil was the first to use and sell extended OCI oil filters and then Ea0 media to the general public. Among other things - most all of which get copied by others. Not sure why this bothers people so darn much!

Amsoil Timeline

Amsoil is not any more pushy than Jimmy Dipstick, 3K oil changes or 8X less wear claims, among some of the beauts out there.

So lastly - why the heck is this thread an Amsoil hate thread anyway? "Cheese Grader" - that's hilarious. Amsoil didn't take those pictures.

This has been posted before. For context, it appears to come from and be the opinion(s) of an Amsoil dealer (wolverine-synthetics). Like many dissections, the dissection is decent, the conclusions from that dissection, not so much.

Quote:
Agreed. Same goes for the opinion/conclusions about the Bosch Premium and the others.

So to answer the OP's question, the answer would be no. Doesn't mean the Amsoil isn't a fine quality filter, it is. But this dissection presentation doesn't prove the point it's author is trying to make.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
...Amsoil didn't take those pictures.

To be fair, I borrowed those pictures from somebody promoting Amsoil.

Anyways, I will be treating my engine with Amsoil and a Eao filter after running the course on my P Ultra.

Only reason is I found some Amsoil at my local hardware store and found a Eao filter on ebay.

You know how we like preparing ahead of time.

Serendipity

I'll see how it goes in my engine if I will continue or use a lower price oil next time.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2063299

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1667803

Flow would have to do with:

Media used
Surface area
Pressure

You think these manufactures haven't researched this to death?

Unless I had a race car and needed/wanted super flow any filter is gonna flow fine for easy street use.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Steve S

You wouldn't know the "turth" if it bit you in the rass. This is a statement for the unbiased:

Amsoil drove the extended oil change market and to a large extent the synthetic oil market - in fact I ask you all these so called synthetic oils on the market in the last 5 years or so....they just randomly popped up? I'm not saying they are necessarily responding to Amsoil, but who was already there?

Amsoil never claimed they are the first to produce a synthetic oil. Amsoil was the first API synthetic oil. They were the first with synthetic uni ATF. First with a 100:1 2 stroke oil. Amsoil was the first to use and sell extended OCI oil filters and then Ea0 media to the general public. Among other things - most all of which get copied by others. Not sure why this bothers people so darn much!

Amsoil Timeline

Amsoil is not any more pushy than Jimmy Dipstick, 3K oil changes or 8X less wear claims, among some of the beauts out there.

So lastly - why the heck is this thread an Amsoil hate thread anyway? "Cheese Grader" - that's hilarious. Amsoil didn't take those pictures.

Seems I struck a nerve here. So typical with Amsoil Reps. They always "assume" that customers don't know anything about anything. Not mocking the products, yeah they make great oil, but they are pushy in every experience I have had with them.

Some of us, may not have been on this "site" for years, so don't assume we have no experience with matters. There are many things people "don't know" about Amsoil that some people do know. Its all public info, just need to find it.

I will leave it at that since I am not here to bash, even though it could be read as so. If thats the case I apologize.

Seems I struck a nerve here. So typical with Amsoil Reps. They always "assume" that customers don't know anything about anything. Not mocking the products, yeah they make great oil, but they are pushy in every experience I have had with them.

Some of us, may not have been on this "site" for years, so don't assume we have no experience with matters. There are many things people "don't know" about Amsoil that some people do know. Its all public info, just need to find it.

I will leave it at that since I am not here to bash, even though it could be read as so. If thats the case I apologize.

No nerve struck. Not sure what's so typical, but I was responding to Steve S. - who actually does know better, nothing to assume there. You are allowed your opinion - but really I'm the least pushy person - in fact my post was not sales pushy at all. Just setting Steve straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back