Cut Open - MC FL400S - Jeep 4.0 One Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut open the Motorcraft FL400S that was in service in my family's '99 TJ 4.0 for a year. Can't find the previous receipts readily so I can't tell y'all how many miles were on this OCI...unlikely that it's much more than 5k. Ran the older style Pennzoil Ultra 10W30 in it with the MC filter.

Didn't see any tears. The ADBV remained pliable. Any observations or requests for more pictures before I throw it out?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks great.

I don't think there have ever been any reported tears with this particular Purolator model.

Interesting the "FOMOCO" on the ADBV...

Originally Posted by Linctex
Looks great.

I don't think there have ever been any reported tears with this particular Purolator model.

Interesting the "FOMOCO" on the ADBV...

I thought the same thing. So Purolator makes these filters?

Originally Posted by JLTD
Filter looks solid....

The only thing I didn't like was how crunchy the filtering media felt...it didn't take much to tear it with my fingers. Not that it matters much since it actually wasn't torn after a year, but I'd imagine the synthetic media from a filter like Fram Ultra wouldn't feel that way?...or am I wrong?

This current oil change, I used a Fram Ultra just to give it a try. What is the filtering efficiency of the FL400s?

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
Filter looks solid....

The only thing I didn't like was how crunchy the filtering media felt...it didn't take much to tear it with my fingers. Not that it matters much since it actually wasn't torn after a year, but I'd imagine the synthetic media from a filter like Fram Ultra wouldn't feel that way?...or am I wrong?

This current oil change, I used a Fram Ultra just to give it a try. What is the filtering efficiency of the FL400s?

I'm thinking it was paper media in the FL400, and the Ultra will have synthetic media, which will hold up MUCH better.

Did you do a UOA? Oil's condition is another point to check....especially with it that dark (yes, color means nothing...usually)

The FL-400S filters usually hold up pretty well, they're long & not very large in diameter, seems to help them last longer. The shorter, fatter MC filters don't always fare so well, like the FL820S.

What is the filtering efficiency of the FL400s?

Motorcraft use to advertise 80% at 20μ. But supposedly the Motorcraft filters now adhere to USCAR-36, which I believe is a little better than the 80% at 20μ.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
What is the filtering efficiency of the FL400s?

Motorcraft use to advertise 80% at 20μ. But supposedly the Motorcraft filters now adhere to USCAR-36, which I believe is a little better than the 80% at 20μ.

So a bit off from what the Fram Ultra manages...Is that superior filtering efficiency worth double the price to you all?

Filter looks solid....

I'm thinking it was paper media in the FL400, and the Ultra will have synthetic media, which will hold up MUCH better.

Did you do a UOA? Oil's condition is another point to check....especially with it that dark (yes, color means nothing...usually)

I didn't do a UOA. The oil has always come out that color in the Jeep as far back as I can remember. Not too worried about it coming out dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back