Current gen Honda Ridgeline quality (and water leak issue specifically)

Hi all. Calling you G2 RL owners (and other knowledgeable folks) out of the woodwork. I very much want a G2 RL. I think the 21+ body style looks fantastic, it's just the right size and has a ton of awesome storage for the family, and man oh man is it smooth as butter. I dare say there is not another vehicle with a bed that rides like the RL. If you research current Honda quality, you get a very divided response. Many say that Honda is still turning out that legendary Toyota-esque quality that they have been known for. But others say that Honda's quality and customer service has dwindled. Likewise, with the RL specifically, there are those that report 50K+ on G2s with never a wrench turned and those that have had multiple major issues prior to hitting 30K. These issues included electrical issues, HVAC issues, severe paint issues, and the notorious water intrusion issue. I have personally test driven two RLs, a used 2020 and a new 2022, and both of them had water under the rear carpet. Honestly, this has me beyond gun shy. So I ask...

1. What are you thoughts on what Honda is churning out these days? Specifically, is the RL still a quality vehicle that is worth the price of admission?

2. Does anyone have any specific info on the improperly sealed body seams that cause water intrusion? I am wondering if this is a factory defect that does not exist in all vehicles, meaning you could find a RL that doesn't leak? Or is it a problem that can also occur over time, so that your RL doesn't leak when you bring it home but maybe next year, it begins to leak?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. I think this would be a great vehicle for my family and there is little else out there that compares to it. But I am terrified of dropping that big pile of coin on something that becomes more of a boon than a blessing.

You can look at it like this.

Buy it and if you don't like what you're seeing in its quality, get rid of it for a small profit during this pandemic.
Buy it and have the underside KROWN'd/RustCheck'd or Fluid Film'd or do it yourself if you're concerned about rust damage.
Buy a factory extended warranty on the items/group of items that you fear may fail.

I've owned Honda & Toyota vehicle from when they were in their heyday(20-30 yrs ago) of known quality/reliability and have been less than satisfied especially with LEXUS. I'd still buy'em based on their reputation & statistics of reliability. They were still quality vehicles. So, I say that if you like the Ridgeline, buy it!

Here's what one automotive journalist says about the RL...It's 80%(or 90%) of the truck, that 80%(or 90%) of truck buyers actually need 80%(or 90%) of the time. Or something to that effect. I'm going to look it up again.

EDIT:
I did search for this on Alex On Autos(who is the journalist I was referring to) but, I can't find the exact comment that Alex made as it is bunched into other comments about vehicles in general. But that is what he said about the RL. Also, he wonders why there aren't more midsize truck like the RL as they are almost perfect especially for the everyday livability that most people actually use trucks for.

Alex also says that if you need something else in a truck, then indeed buy something else! (y)

Last edited:
I dumped Honda in 2016
Had many since 1986
QC issues and bad paint etc.
My cars look like new when I trade in but I wore out an armrest on a Insight in 13 k miles...
My 2013 Accord had bad paint from day one and rim peeling and the list goes on.
Plus I got tired of Honda road noise.

Last edited:
honda with V6 engines are always questionable, just listen to ScottyK 😊

on the other hand I4 are normally with 0 problems

my both Hondas in the signature, high contenders for 300K miles without a whole lot stress on cars

Hi all. Calling you G2 RL owners (and other knowledgeable folks) out of the woodwork. I very much want a G2 RL. I think the 21+ body style looks fantastic, it's just the right size and has a ton of awesome storage for the family, and man oh man is it smooth as butter. I dare say there is not another vehicle with a bed that rides like the RL. If you research current Honda quality, you get a very divided response. Many say that Honda is still turning out that legendary Toyota-esque quality that they have been known for. But others say that Honda's quality and customer service has dwindled. Likewise, with the RL specifically, there are those that report 50K+ on G2s with never a wrench turned and those that have had multiple major issues prior to hitting 30K. These issues included electrical issues, HVAC issues, severe paint issues, and the notorious water intrusion issue. I have personally test driven two RLs, a used 2020 and a new 2022, and both of them had water under the rear carpet. Honestly, this has me beyond gun shy. So I ask...

1. What are you thoughts on what Honda is churning out these days? Specifically, is the RL still a quality vehicle that is worth the price of admission?

2. Does anyone have any specific info on the improperly sealed body seams that cause water intrusion? I am wondering if this is a factory defect that does not exist in all vehicles, meaning you could find a RL that doesn't leak? Or is it a problem that can also occur over time, so that your RL doesn't leak when you bring it home but maybe next year, it begins to leak?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. I think this would be a great vehicle for my family and there is little else out there that compares to it. But I am terrified of dropping that big pile of coin on something that becomes more of a boon than a blessing.

Ive got a 50K G2 (2017) with nothing but fluid and filter changes as per the MM.

No water intrusion, so I have no info on that and haven't bothered to look further into it.

Its been the best " all rounder" vehicle I've ever owned.
Ive got the RTL-E which is the loaded model only under the " black" edition (if the black edition came in white Id buy that)
Great towing, great hauling, superb AWD, quiet, good tech package, great ride, the only thing its really missing are cooled seats.

What I can say is that its going to hold its value regardless of any problem as well or better than anything so if you want off it there will be a line of people ready to take it off your hands.

At this stage I would definitely buy again.

The timing belt thing I look at a couple of ways - Im going to have to replace it and the water pump around 100K but I wont have a "problem" per se as long as I do the work (or get the work done) this and valve adjustment at the time are the price you pay for the turbine like smoothness.

If I had a timing chain car I "might" have to replace it as well given how they aren't nearly as reliable as they used to be and are actually problematic on certain vehicles.

Ive got a 50K G2 (2017) with nothing but fluid and filter changes as per the MM.

No water intrusion, so I have no info on that and haven't bothered to look further into it.
Sooo, if you want to know, I'll tell you. But sometimes ignorance is bliss, lol. I will simply say that just because you haven't noticed the issue doesn't mean there isn't an issue.
Its been the best " all rounder" vehicle I've ever owned.
This is exactly why I want one. So much utility and storage in a vehicle that rides fantastic and will still haul or pull something when you need to.

To those that mentioned the engine, I'm not worried about Honda's V6. It's been around long enough and is not a problem area. The 6 speed transmissions in the pre-20 models occasionally gives a little trouble but it was replaced with a new 9 speed in 2020 that seems to be solid. The water intrusion issue is my primary concern. Someone mentioned the warranty but there are stories out there of dealers keeping RLs for months and giving it back only to have it leak again. There are also reports of more minor issues like peeling paint, HVAC noises, a known design flaw in the tailgate wiring harness, etc.

My dad had his front bumper repainted after a wash mitt caught the corner of a chip and peeled about 3" off.

Aside front that zero issues. Think he's nearing 50k.

I have a 2017 Ridgeline and it has been mechanically perfect since I bought it 3 years ago. All it has needed in 45K is fluids, filters, and a dealer installed shroud over the capless gas filler to divert rain water. It's biggest fault is the back doors don't open wide enough to get large objects in the back even though there is room for them to fit. The only other criticism is the Honda 3.5 V6 doesn't seem nearly as strong as our the Ford 3.5 in our Edge. The RL 3.5 "feels" more like a 3.0, but then it is pulling against almost 5000 lbs of truck.

I make 500 mile trips in my RL fairly regularly and it is a terrific highway cruiser. Very comfortable seats, rides/drives like an midsize SUV, quiet, and about 25 mpg. I also like the storage compartment under the bed that holds as about as much as a small tool box. As the guy above said, its 90% of the truck I need 90% of the time.

Was not aware of any water problems other than rain in the gas filler.

I have a 2017 Ridgeline and it has been mechanically perfect since I bought it 3 years ago. All it has needed in 45K is fluids, filters, and a dealer installed shroud over the capless gas filler to divert rain water. It's biggest fault is the back doors don't open wide enough to get large objects in the back even though there is room for them to fit. The only other criticism is the Honda 3.5 V6 doesn't seem nearly as strong as our the Ford 3.5 in our Edge. The RL 3.5 "feels" more like a 3.0, but then it is pulling against almost 5000 lbs of truck.

I make 500 mile trips in my RL fairly regularly and it is a terrific highway cruiser. Very comfortable seats, rides/drives like an midsize SUV, quiet, and about 25 mpg. I also like the storage compartment under the bed that holds as about as much as a small tool box. As the guy above said, its 90% of the truck I need 90% of the time.

Was not aware of any water problems other than rain in the gas filler.

Door opening mod is pretty easy to install, but yeah Its a little annoying out of the box.

Im with you on the long trips.
465M is my standard cruise day. Its a great freeway machine, supremely capable in diverse weather and WAAAY better handling than any other truck. I live in the mountains and it goes right from the desert to snow and it just eats up the miles

Id say the 3.5 feel like a 3.0 until about 6K then steps out pretty hard about like a 300 horse small block- because it basically puts out "about" that.

After driving the gm3.6 I do think the ability to phase both cam banks helps give it grunt, but the honda feels better at speed.
The belt does help keep everything pretty Silky when you need to spend time spinning so its a pretty relaxing tow with a 5K boat on the leash.

Everything is bitchin underneath and beefy and the mill all alloy.

On a real easy "grandpa"cruise 67- I can eeek 30 out high 20's easy, and yeah around 75 is about 25.

That’s pretty impressive mileage and solid testimony for what it is. Sounds like they got it pretty right.

my boss has a late model odyssey, maybe a 17 or so? She’s had some issues with it; repeated brake issues and misfire errors, but it was bought used, and in all fairness she and her husband suspect it was wrecked and not claimed on insurance. I wouldn’t have an issue with a late model honda. We have a 2015 crv which has been a very solid and well-sorted vehicle.

That’s pretty impressive mileage and solid testimony for what it is. Sounds like they got it pretty right.

my boss has a late model odyssey, maybe a 17 or so? She’s had some issues with it; repeated brake issues and misfire errors, but it was bought used, and in all fairness she and her husband suspect it was wrecked and not claimed on insurance. I wouldn’t have an issue with a late model honda. We have a 2015 crv which has been a very solid and well-sorted vehicle.

Knock on wood so far flawless.

The rig continues to impress back from a 2K trip a month ago and the thing eats miles like a sedan

Im amazed it has a very similar performance (within a 10th in most numbers) window to 79 Porsche 928 albeit one with infinitely more capability.

It's my new favorite vehicle.

Not to derail, but I'm curious since everyone touts the Ridgeline for ride quality. How is it for road noise compared to the typical domestic truck? Unibodies typically transmit more noise and Hondas have never known to be particularily quiet. I personally prefer a quieter ride over softness over bumps.

Not to derail, but I'm curious since everyone touts the Ridgeline for ride quality. How is it for road noise compared to the typical domestic truck? Unibodies typically transmit more noise and Hondas have never known to be particularily quiet. I personally prefer a quieter ride over softness over bumps.

Mine is quieter than my RX400h was.

Compared to my body on frame titan it may as well be a library.

I purchased a new 2023 RTL last week. I'm at 240 miles after taking carrying my canoe to the river for a little bass fishing last Saturday. I sold a 2wd 2016 157" wheelbase F150 Lariat with 110,000 trouble free miles on it to purchase the Ridgeline and have had full size four door 6.5 foot bed pick-ups as my transportation for 3 decades now. I'm retiring at the end of the year and my need to haul booth supplies to trade shows has evaporated. I have a new metal and plastic right shoulder and I'm tired of both climbing up into a truck and then trying to find a place to park it.
BOOM.
Ridgeline.
It rides better than the Lariats and the small leaf sprung mid size trucks, seems to get better fuel mileage and though I've only parked it once, being approx 4 feet shorter than the outgoing F150, parking will be easier. It'll haul my canoe and a scoop of mulch every now and then. As a bonus, it was fairly cheap.
I haven't found a build quality issue at this point.

Having the VCM disabled makes a world of difference. My wife’s 19 Pilot has been great. As far as fluids it’s easy to maintain especially the six speed. 56K miles so far.

They are nice sized. They are similar to the 1 Gen tundra which was a supremely right-sized truck for both carrying gear and dealing with a daily commute (tundra bed back then was 6” longer than the typical 4-door domestic). I would think the RL would be a good cruising vehicle, as they have a lot of shared suspension geometry with their vans, albeit the rear looks beefier to the eye.

I’ve only ridden in one. It felt stable, heavy, and quiet. having owned 2 honda v6s, I’d have no fear about asking it to do normal truck stuff. They haul minivans around all day across America. I might wonder about towing a full height travel trailer, at least regarding the FWD transmission.

Back