Current 5W-20 Roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.
millerl - Until now, when Blackstone has sent me a report showing 2ppm of a wear metal, I assume that is exactly what the sample contained. But now I wonder, is it?

This is the exact question I asked Blackstone a while back via e-mail. No answer.
dunno.gif

Nice selection of tested oils. Too bad Redline, Shaeffer, Amsoil, Royal Purple and the New mobil 1 5w20's aren't locally available for you. Then you'd have the whole enchillada. Very impressed with Pennzoil's numbers. Thanks for doing all this testing on 20's.

[

I am starting to believe that their is much more to motor oil formulations than the add packs we can see on VOA's.

I agree with you totally! I am even doubting the usefulness of VOA's since the numbers seem to differ from lab to lab and even from tester to tester in the same lab. Also because different tests of the same oils show varying numbers.

The additive levels in the Honda 5W20 are a close match to the Mobil Clean 5000 VOA that I recently posted. Hmmmm...

Mobil 5000

Aluminum 1
Iron 1
Moly 64
Boron 44
Silicon 1
Sodium 218
Calcium 829
Magnesium 4
Phosphorous 341
Zinc 347

[ February 21, 2005, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: sully ]

I've seen this numerous times now and like I posted before....this entire process is useless with these things happening! I love the concept but this proofs to me they are just arbitrary numbers with no diagnostic potential! Like I said, I've seen it more than once with the same excuses from Blackstone!!
Any body using other labs that can pass this test so the numbers actually tell us something. I just got a F-150 and put 5w-20 PU in it and am about to change to M1 EP 5w-20 and was going to make a comparison....not going to waste my $$ here.
I have 90 Miata and used the PU in it and the lifters always took 15-20 seconds to pump up with every start......put MI EP and it sounds like a well oiled quite machine. My ears don't lie but I don't know if it means anything over time??
I've been using M1 since it came on the market in the 70's (when every mechanic I knew said I was crazy and looked over my shoulder for problems)....Great experiences for all those years...I hope they aren't ruining a great product as some suggest and a couple of test here reflect. Who knows what those test mean! Oh one more point someone suggested Mobil had to cheapen their product to pay billion $ retirement package for the CEO....actually it was only half a billion.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back