Castrol 5w-20 GTX & Syntec Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is the only way my cheap (read: old) computer and I know how to post the results, so please show forgiveness if it isn't the best format.
Please comment on what you guys think about the results. The first column is the GTX 5w-20, the second is the Syntec Blend 5w-20. I would like to have gotten the new 5w-20 Syntec done as well, but so far haven't found it around here. In reality, I'm not as interested in the additive packages as I was the base-stock oil make-up, but I guess I'll have to make do.
One thing I did find interesting is that in both of the reports' "COMMENTS" sections, Blackstone states that these are "moisture-free 5w-30 samples"?! Is Castrol re-labeling 5w-30 to 5w-20 simply to satisfy the Ford and Honda camps????

BLACKSTONE LABS VIRGIN SAMPLING
SAMPLE DATE: 3/26/04
REPORT DATE: 3/30/04
CASTROL 5w-20
As mentioned, the first column is GTX, the second Syntec Blend.

Aluminum 0 / 0
Chromium 0 / 0
Iron 1 / 1
Copper 0 / 0
Lead 0 / 0
Tin 0 / 0
Molybdenum 97 / 102
Nickel 0 / 0
Manganese 0 / 0
Silver 0 / 0
Titanium 0 / 0
Potassium 0 / 0
Boron 0 / 0
Silicon 6 / 6
Sodium 1 / 1
Calcium 2201 / 2253
Magnesium 3 / 2
Phosphorus 700 / 722
Zinc 819 / 847
Barium 0 / 0
SUS Vis @ 210 55.5 / 55.5
Flashpoint 415 / 415

To my under-educated eye, combined with Blackstones comments, these both appear like they might be the same Castrol 5w-30 oil.
dunno.gif

shocked.gif
TRACE Insolubles were found in both samples! Blackstone said that isn't terribly unusual, but it really shouldn't be there in a virgin sample. Should I worry? I'm running the Syntec Blend currently, and just bought 5 more quarts for another change. I don't think I'll be leaving it in for more than 2,000 miles. It looks like Castrol has a fairly weak additive package.
frown.gif

Z-

[ March 31, 2004, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

The additive packages are the same. The base stocks are different. It would interesting to see if they yielded similar UOAs on the same car.

This, from the same company that first brought you..what shall we call it, semi-synthetic syntec? The company that still avoids placing product info on their web site.

As far as I know, all dino 5-20 oils are synthetic blend whether or not it says so on the label.
Motorcarft synthetic blend is only $1.44. What does Castrol charge?
To see Castrol sell seperate products like this just smacks of consumer abuse.

quote:

Originally posted by ZiTS:
I'm running the Syntec Blend currently, and just bought 5 more quarts for another change. I don't think I'll be leaving it in for more than 2,000 miles. It looks like Castrol has a fairly weak additive package.
frown.gif

Z-

Why not leave if for 5k and do an analysis. IMO, the 2.0 Zetec motor is easy on the oil anyway. I don't think one can predict the wear based on the VOA of an oil;I mean Motorcraft 5w20 does seem to have weak additives but UOA's have been good/excellent.

FWIW, I used the blend on my wifes's MDX for about 3.5k miles replacing the factory fill. No problems encountered, no top up oil needed but I did not do an analysis(forgot to take sample
pat.gif
).

Mark in NY,
Around here, Castrol Syntec Blend goes for between $2.40-$2.50.

pinoy99,
The real reason I sent in the samples was to see if there was a difference between the GTX and Syntec Blend. What I really wanted to find out (base stock % make-up, UOA), I knew wouldn't be revealed. This was more of just a starting point. Because of the short distance I live from work, it takes me forever to get to a realistic OCI, and I have no patience to begin with
smile.gif
. That's why I usually change it more frequently than needed.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back