Cub Cadet XT3 GSX

Receipt 50" cut 708 cc
Was like $4200 when they first came to market. Purchased 2016

1000003049.jpg

Probably not interested but you can get a late model Toro or Exmark like this for $2k to $3k and it will run circles around the Cub Cadet especially on hills... no comparison. I do have one myself for hills.
You look like a zipper head driving it but it works very well.

View attachment 218420
Looks awesome! Thanks for the info!

I am definitely into older machines. I always have a restoration project or 5 going on (currently 1967 CUB 125, 1970-2 JD 140H, 1967 CUB 126, 196? CUB 104, 198? JD 318, 1956-7 Baird model H, and some others that are fun but maybe not notable. Obviously like many I am a fan of the era of real iron. A few years back I wanted to buy a lifetime tractor that would deal with snow, grass, and pulling whatever I needed to pull around our property that was new and reliable, with less maintenance.

I bought my XT3 new roughly 6 years ago with a stamped deck and snow plow instead of the JD 500 series that I was looking at.
The Cub was a MUCH MUCH heavier duty machine than the JD 500 series line up (still is) and the closest JD to the XT3 has to be their 700 series (in terms of heavy duty construction and shaft driven).

I wanted the heavier duty rear, the cub is a full shaft driven differential with Diff. lock and boy doe sit work! Whereas the JD 500 series were still belt driven. My XT3 is a 24HP Twin cylinder KOHLER, hell is has a 2 1/2" exhaust outlet! it is a beast!!! Power steering and deck lift, with tilt, adjustable seat with armrests makes for a nice place to be when you're on the machine.

Having said that, GO BY A USED JOHN DEERE!!! I have never been so disappointed in an almost $9,000 purchase in my life... Everything that I was concerned about when buying an MTD product has all but come true... Even though the XT3 is Cubs highest line and is a dealership only machine (not a lower quality box store tractor) it is still an MTD product therefore almost everything control wise breaks or is lower quality. My first year, a steering gear tooth chipped, the second year my Diff. lock lever and spring failed, third year sheared a Zerk fitting off the deck. Sorry but BS like that should NOT be happening for 10k!!! The mower deck is overall just a PITA, I did not opt for the fabricated deck due to all the more mowing I have to do, it was more about having enough power to plow snow, which is does do pretty well (even though a cable on the plow is failing also...). I do maintain machines and take care of them properly and this Cub has not seen any real severe use.

FOR 4K, GO BUY YOURSELF A TRUE HEAVY DUTY MACHINE that is tired and tested, has lived 50 years already and will live another 100 with common maintenance. Then take the remaining $2k and fill in any gaps or go on vacation!

I would still struggle with the chassis, drive line and frame quality vs the JD 500 line up. But I would have to strongly consider the JD for overall quality and having the Kawasaki engine and being manufactured by JD and not MTD.

If you can find an early 90's or 80's JD 318 that is in good shape, I would jump on it instead!

Back