CRV Transmission whine when accelerating

2006 CRV AWD 148k miles automatic. Only when accelerating up until it reaches 4th gear. Does not do it in park or neutral while reving the engine. Its not too loud but definelty can hear it. I've researched and seen it could be the transfer gear , a race/bearing on the driver side of trans behind some cover , a pinion bearing , or needs a fluid change which I'll be doing today with DW-1 Fluid as well as Hondas Dual Pump Fluid for the rear diff. I just bought this yesterday . I checked the color of the trans fluid and it was between a faint red and a grey ish color like used fluid usually is.

I checked the color of the trans fluid and it was between a faint red and a grey ish color like used fluid usually is.
Whining sound may indicate the ATF is low. Confirm HOW to check it on this specific model. Honda has had different methods over the years.

If there's any hint of anything other than reddish tint, I suspect it's pretty old fluid, possibly never been changed. Do a couple drain and refills like 2010Civic mentions but personally, I'd spread them out over 500+ miles. There's no "rule" for the timeframe or mileage on doing this. Honda does say to do it 3x but that's based on the vehicle having this done on a routine basis (I think).

FWIW-Our 2005 CRV is basically the same vehicle and has had the whine since day one. After several fluid drops and 135K miles there''s no change. An indy guy I know confirmed that of the dealer as the views is that it's common to the Honda trans and not a concern.

FWIW-Our 2005 CRV is basically the same vehicle and has had the whine since day one. After several fluid drops and 135K miles there''s no change. An indy guy I know confirmed that of the dealer as the views is that it's common to the Honda trans and not a concern.
What was the specific gear/rpm of your whine? The beginning of the video you hear it . does that sound similar?

Its at the top of cross marks
How did you check it - engine on, engine off, hot, cold ? Newer Hondas you get the engine/transmission hot, shut the car off, and check the level after 60 seconds but not longer than 90 seconds.

How did you check it - engine on, engine off, hot, cold ? Newer Hondas you get the engine/transmission hot, shut the car off, and check the level after 60 seconds but not longer than 90 seconds.
Within one minute of shutting it off

If it is a awd I would change the rear dif and use only honda fluid. I have seen on some posts that when the rear fluid gets old you will hear a whine from the dif..... I know on my 2021 HRV AWD you need to change the rear first at 15000 miles then around every 30000 after that...takes about a quart and one half...dual pump fluid..

If it is a awd I would change the rear dif and use only honda fluid. I have seen on some posts that when the rear fluid gets old you will hear a whine from the dif..... I know on my 2021 HRV AWD you need to change the rear first at 15000 miles then around every 30000 after that...takes about a quart and one half...dual pump fluid..
i did the rear diff and trans same day . DW1 in trans and DPS-F dual pump fluid in the rear diff.

I have seen on some posts that when the rear fluid gets old you will hear a whine from the dif.....
Apparently it's very critical that the diff fluid is changed on time and routinely even though you know that 75% or more of owners don't do it. Pretty sure it was @mightymousetech that said it is pretty much mandatory.

Back