CRV coolant change

Changed the coolant in the '13 CRV this morning at 103k miles. The Zerex blue from Valvoline is a compatible replacement for OEM fluid. Picked the stuff up from Oreillys for $19.99 per jug. I did a simple drain and fill and bled the system of air. Drained a little over 1.5 gallons and put the same amount back in. Just figured I would share.
Coolant.jpg

I too used Zerex Asian when I drained the factory fill on an 07 Accord as posted HERE. ZAV an Asian PHoat just like Type II. I purchased mine at AAP using an online 25% off code, $15/gal. ZAV, good stuff.

Same here. I've used both the Pentofrost and Zerex with good results. No complete drains for me either. They just get new coolant when I do timing belts and take the water pumps out. I don't worry about whatever is left in there. At 240k+ The Accord radiator is spotless.

Nice job 👍. If you’re not changing coolant formulas or have other cooling system problems, radiator drain and fill is perfectly fine and very easy to do.
Many people believe, probably thanks to dealers and quick lube places that cooling systems needs to be fully flushed. Perhaps that’s why so many neglect cooling systems since it all sound so complicated and expensive.

I definitely didn't think it was necessary to do more than a drain and fill. I have no cooling issues whatsoever but the MM said it was time when my next oil change comes, so I did it early. It was my first time doing it on a car and it was pretty easy.

Back