"Crunchy" feel returning the steering wheel

2017 Nissan Pathfinder 4wd. About 800 miles ago I noticed my power steering fluid was low. I added Pentosin CHF-11S because interestingly, Renault makes the steering system. Renault itself uses the same Pentosin but recently, when cornering at higher speeds and returning the wheel back to the middle, there's a tugging, light-crunch feel to the steering. It's almost like the tires are lightly biased to remain in the opposite direction. I do not have to fight the steering at all, but there's definitely some kind of very light, rapid tugging, possibly from the steering rack? Front end is fine, brakes are good, alignment was done within 5k miles, no damage done to wheels/tires.

How many miles on the Pathfinder? I'm thinking maybe a failing power steering pump, or two incompatible fluids mixed in the system.
55k. Reliability of it so far seems pretty inferior. Also need an ac service already. The fluid hasn't been changed until I added the Pentosin, but it's listed as compatible.

How did the fluid get low? Unless a pipe was disconnected you have a leak. Did you get all the air out, or wasn't it low enough to get air? That could cause some noises.

The power steering isn't involved with returning to straight though unless you put torque on the steering wheel, that's due to caster and SAI. Worn top mounts on the struts can cause this.

Upper strut mounts makes sense. There's a metallic knock when taking off from a stop, when the front end lifts up. PS wasn't low enough to pull air in the system.

Back