Crossover/SUV tires on Pick-Up?

If not going to tow anything and don't need 4wd, nope, no reason not to.

The first thing I would do would be to compare the load rating of the tire to your loaded axle weight ratings. If tire rating x2 doesn't at least equal the rating of the axle with the higher weight rating, it's probably not a great idea. Other than that, 1/2 ton and smaller pickups often come with P-rated tires from the factory, so I can't see why an SUV-rated tire would be any worse.

I don’t see why not. Many of the H/T tires are SL (standard load) rated and so is the Pirelli. The Firestone Destination LE 3s have been tested by Tire Rack and scored fairly good.

The first thing I would do would be to compare the load rating of the tire to your loaded axle weight ratings. If tire rating x2 doesn't at least equal the rating of the axle with the higher weight rating, it's probably not a great idea. Other than that, 1/2 ton and smaller pickups often come with P-rated tires from the factory, so I can't see why an SUV-rated tire would be any worse.
GAWR is 4100 lbs for the rear. Both the Pirelli’s and the popular Michelin Defender LTX have a maximum of 2,756 at max air pressure but I am not sure what that # translates to at 36 psi.

In my truck's size (275/65R18), the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus II tires are significantly cheaper than the Michelin or Continental highway tires.

My truck is 2WD and I only use it for road trips and local trips to Home Depot. There is zero snow in my area. For my use, is there any reason to not consider a Crossover/SUV tire?

Those were OE on my '16 GC SRT and they weren't a bad tire, though they wore reasonably quickly. I'd personally be inclined to go with the Conti's I went with or the LTX's, but I understand they are a fair bit more pricey.

GAWR is 4100 lbs for the rear. Both the Pirelli’s and the popular Michelin Defender LTX have a maximum of 2,756 at max air pressure but I am not sure what that # translates to at 36 psi.
Then you're fine, that's plenty of room to spare. The Max load you see on Tire Rack is at 35psi for SL tires.

I actually prefer tires like the above on my pickups. I don't need to prove my manhood by putting "E" rated tires on a vehicle where the payload (half-ton) will never see the need for such.

I actually prefer tires like the above on my pickups. I don't need to prove my manhood by putting "E" rated tires on a vehicle where the payload (half-ton) will never see the need for such.
I find heavier weight rating can also translate to increased overall durability, which can come in handy if one is travelling gravel roads regularly. If the vehicle is used primarily/exclusively in civilization and not being loaded heavily, I can see why ride comfort would be more important. I run 17" Blizzak DM-V2s in the winter on my F-150, and they definitely ride softer than the 20" Cooper AT3 XLTs I run in the summer.

Nothing wrong with crossover tires on a pickup as long as it didn't come with LT tires :)

Some trucks have LT tires which have a higher load requirement, but if this doesn't apply to you, then don't worry about it.

That's the only reason I put E-rated tires on half tons.
Now for contrast, let's look at speed ratings.
(Y) and Z =large
T & H = medium
Oh oh, my E-rated tires are only Q & R speed rated.
And I thought it was the cold weather.

Was just curious.
I run these

I bought them (4) in 275/55/20 "XL" rating for $632.00 at Discount tire mounted/balanced. They met Sam's Club price. Decent in slush and light snow.

These are also for consideration-http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/roadian_htx_rh5

I believe this brand of tires are very under rated for the price point.

2018 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab

Last edited:
It's a general purpose road tire. If you stay on roads, and don't haul heavy loads, it will be fine, especially considering zero snow in your area.

That's a pretty ignorant comment since people have all kinds of reasons for running E rated tires on ½ ton pickups. It usually has zero to do with "proving manhood". I do it for 2 reasons. #1, E rated tires last longer in my experience. I've never gotten more than 25K miles out of SL (4 PLY) tires. #2, is because I haul 2000 lbs of cargo in the bed whenever I need to...try that will SL tires.

That's a pretty ignorant comment since people have all kinds of reasons for running E rated tires on ½ ton pickups. It usually has zero to do with "proving manhood". I do it for 2 reasons. #1, E rated tires last longer in my experience. I've never gotten more than 25K miles out of SL (4 PLY) tires. #2, is because I haul 2000 lbs of cargo in the bed whenever I need to...try that will SL tires.
Very, very few half-ton pickups have a 2,000 pound payload capacity. So either you didn't read my post above correctly, or you are over loading your truck.

E rated tires take pothole impacts a lot better than P rated tires.

I have to run E rated on my truck since its a 350. But I'll never come remotely close to having 3600x2 pounds in the back. I'll probably go with smaller than factory size the next time it needs tires. Still E rated.

Back