Critical article on "startup" Global Airlines- marketing the (future) use of grounded A380s

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Interesting/ critical article on Global Airlines- a airlines that appears to have acquired a A380, yet has no signs of a operating certificate for the airline.

Interesting/ critical article on Global Airlines- a airlines that appears to have acquired a A380, yet has no signs of a operating certificate for the airline.

I wish this company the best and wonder if maybe there is some continued hope for the really large airplanes, which seem to be a great tactic to address airport congestion and pilot shortages. I will absolutely travel in an A380 across the Atlantic.

Entities like this is how the DOD diverts congressional appropriations for UFO,,I mean UAP research.

Ethihad and a few other airlines are now seeing enough passenger traffic to warrant bringing the A380 back online. This may be an attempt of get one while you can. From what I've read the A380 has some of the lowest cost per seat mile meaning it has to run full. Fuel burn is around $4,600 gallons per hour.

It looks like a respectable 251 of these behemoths were delivered and around 129 are now in service with Emirates having around 70% of the in-service fleet.
I know that a number of these have been parted and that market is drying up since the numbers in the active fleet are not that large and nobody wants to have a large inventory of used parts for which there is no market.
There are around 80 frames listed as "inactive", so many are presumably looking for a home.
There is no cheaper way of getting a reasonably young high capacity aircraft and floor area does count if one really intends to run a low density premium airline.
Is Global to be taken seriously?
I think that depends largely upon the depth of the pockets it has financing from. I think the math could work since many of us would love to fly in a premium class and find the upcharge for even premium economy to be ridiculous and biz is just absurd, at least for most of those paying their own way. Yes, you can occasionally catch a deal and you may have miles to burn on upgrades, but if Global could offer the equivalent of biz space, even without the latest lie-flats along with even premium economy service at say a 50% premium over cattle class, the economics could work and most travelers would find it to be quite the deal.

All Nippon Airways picked up three A380s a few years back and use them for the Tokyo Honolulu route. That route is very popular and each 380 has 520 seats in four different classes.

I never liked landing somewhere in these beasts - too many hitting the arrivals hall all at once …

It happens. Just the same as several heavies landing and immigrations suddenly is packed.

Some airports are not capable of handling the rush. The Middle East airports probably do best since they used the bulk of these whales.

Reactions: 4WD
If established major airlines are going to bring A380s back on routes where they might make a profit, that takes away that niche from anyone new.

Those airlines already have the planes, pilots, operating licenses, landing slots, etc. so their cost of entry is much lower.

Last edited:
Back