Credit Security Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a security freeze in place with the 3 credit reporting agencies? I'm thinking about doing this since my credit card was compromised.

My question is this: does the freeze require your pin number to be used for YOU to look at your credit report, as an additional identifier? Like when you do the free annual credit report, if you have the freeze in place, does it ask for your security freeze pin number?

I sure hope it does, because that would stop someone from doing a change of address on your credit report.

thanks guys.

I did a freeze and got a letter from all three agencies. At least one has instructions for retrieving my report-- haven't gotten around to it yet.

The freeze was silly easy over the phone; didn't have to talk to anyone, just punched some identifying stuff into the numeric keypad.

I once thought my credit card was compromised. Because of the circumstances, my card carrier immediately put a three-day freeze on the card to give me time to sort things out. Depending on your circumstances, this tool is available. I'm not sure why you need to include the credit agencies.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I'm not sure why you need to include the credit agencies.

Someone has my SSN because they were able to change my phone number on the account. I got the fraudulent charges sorted out with the credit card company and already received a new card/account number and I had a password instituted for my account.

Because my SSN is compromised, I want to make it as hard as possible for credit to be established in my name, hence the security freeze.

I have the security freeze and have had it for about 2 years now. When I bought my car, I asked what bureau the dealer was going to use and unlocked my report with that one, and it relocked automagically 15 days later.

In the past if you went to annualcreditreport.com (The only site where you can get a truly free credit report) you did need to unlock first, but I guess that has changed. (Haven't tried it yet)

If you freeze, realize that they will CHARGE you to unfreeze.

Most places are too stupid to do a manual override, and despite what Dave Ramsey says, you do need to be able to have your credit checked for things like cellphone plans.

An SSN was never meant to be used as identification, and because it is, it's a real mess.

I've had a freeze for over 4 years now. You have to pay upfront and they give you a PIN. When you open it, you can specify how long and by whom can view it, in my case, my last car, the CRV and Honda Financing. They only used one, so I had that particular one opened for 48 hours and told them to make haste. Had to pay about 10 bucks to re-open it, but well worth it.
In fact, I at first didn't tell Honda about it just to see if it worked, and sure enough, it did. Felt pretty good about that.

I went ahead and did the freeze; it was free to add it in my state and $10 to temporarily lift the freeze. I don't use credit hardly at all, and existing creditors can still look at your file when it's frozen, so it seemed like the right thing to do.

Yeah, it is bad form to borrow money for anything but a mortgage.

But I'll be curious to see what happens with the freeze if you try to change phone providers...

If I know I'm going to, I'll temporarily lift the freeze, just like I would if I know someone's going to need my credit information.

Originally Posted By: Mixologist
I've thought about freezing my son's SSN. Does anyone know if that's possible?

You can't freeze your SSN; the freeze is on your credit file. Your son theoretically shouldn't have a credit file unless he obtained credit somehow or someone opened credit in his name.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If I know I'm going to, I'll temporarily lift the freeze, just like I would if I know someone's going to need my credit information.

But to have to pay $10 every time is crazy.

Since I don't use credit, it seems quite sane to me.

I'm quite content with my Verizon Wireless plan, and I don';t foresee changing it in the near term.

I'll leave it at that.

smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Pay $10 to unfreeze the few times you apply for credit, or spend $1000's and countless hours trying to clean up the mess after someone opens accounts in your name? Mine has been frozen for two years, and I had to open it once.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Pay $10 to unfreeze the few times you apply for credit, or spend $1000's and countless hours trying to clean up the mess after someone opens accounts in your name? Mine has been frozen for two years, and I had to open it once.

Wheeeeeew. Thanks for some common sense.
01.gif

I know someone who froze his credit file. He couldn't get a free credit report online at that website; he had to submit the request by mail and had to include certain information beyond the information you normally provide.

I think the freeze is temporary; it's automaically lifted after NN months.

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
I know someone who froze his credit file. He couldn't get a free credit report online at that website; he had to submit the request by mail and had to include certain information beyond the information you normally provide.

I think the freeze is temporary; it's automaically lifted after NN months.

The freeze is permanent until you lift it.

The other option for protecting your credit file is fraud alerts. There are 2 kinds: an initial fraud alert that anyone can file, which lasts for 90 days, or an extended fraud alerts, which lasts for 7 years. Extended alerts are only available to victims of ID theft who have a police report.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Wheeeeeew. Thanks for some common sense.
01.gif

Exactly why I agree with Dave Ramsey's school of thought.

Jut another excuse to bill you. Common sense? Sure, $10 VS LOTS of time and money. But they still figured a way to finagle you out of yet another $10.

Use it a lot or a little, there goes another $10 for the folly of using credit.

And an SSN isnt even supposed to be used for identification.

What a scenario they've roped and wrapped everyone into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back