Cracked rim - tire wouldn't hold air

wwillson

Staff member
I took these pictures at my friend's shop the other day. He had a customer come in with a leaking tire that needed to be fixed. Bill couldn't find anything in the tire, so started looking at the rim and found this. I've never seen a wheel crack like this. It seems like I see something strange every time I stop in.

20210917_191729792_iOS.jpg

20210917_191724333_iOS.jpg

Nice find Wayne. I always cheat and use a spray bottle lol. I haven’t come across a cracked rim before that is very interesting I would think it would bend before it cracked.

generally most rims are cheaper, weaker castings + add low profile rubber band tyres + sheet happens!! even higher quality $$ rims can have issues as I found out!! $$$ on Pa potholed roads

I really can't tell from your picture, but is there an impact or rash mark related to the crack? Or was that just one big assed pot hole impact..

If you have an alloy rim stuck to the wheel, do not hit it with a hammer, or that will happen.

If you go on the "Just Rolled In" YouTube channel, you'll lots of completely destroyed alloy wheels.

Many years ago, I had a Spencer wheel not hold air. An area near the middle of the inside was porous but not cracked. I spread some epoxy steel over it, problem solved!

I have seen it once on a K5 Blazer, but he did it off roading with an aftermarket rim.
The looks to be a stock Lincoln rim. Weird.

That's an interesting failure. I'd love to examine it in the lab.

One feature I find noteworthy is there is no necking in the crack area, suggesting this is not a single event failure.

One thing I'd look for is high cycle fatigue (or even low cycle fatigue).

At this point all I can think of is a casting defect (porosity or hot shortness).

We used the dunk tank a lot to submerge flat tires. Valve stem, bead leak, chrome leak, and sometimes cracked alloy. Steel wont do this and might be why police tahoes roll on steel.

Nice find Wayne. I always cheat and use a spray bottle lol. I haven’t come across a cracked rim before that is very interesting I would think it would bend before it cracked.
Aluminum is softer than steel; see a lot of aluminum wheels cracked at work and in my area. Steel wheels will get bends in them, yet to see one crack

I had a Weld Racing Wheel Develop a crack and loose air. Had it welded and still leaked. Finally put a tube in it. Hit a bump on the interstate and the whole front half of the wheel flew off into the woods. I replaced any suspected wheels with American Racing wheels. It could have been bad. Fortunately was in the right lane.

I have seen quite a few alloy wheels crack like that, I've also seen people fix them by welding the crack together. It's aluminum or alloy so I think you'd need someone who is able to weld aluminum.

The load rating of a wheel is lower than that of a tyre. (Assuming correct factory specs are followed). So if you hit a pot hole the rim should fail before the tyre. This is because a slow leak that a driver can pull over with is better than a tyre blown out and possible total loss of control.

Back