Cracked bathroom vinyl sliding window (the fixed, outside portion) glass.

Wife heard a loud pop this morning and the glass of our bathroom (over the bathtub) sliding vent window has cracked. It does not look like an impact crack but it looks like thermal expansion and contraction over the years have taken its toll. Is it possible to slide out the whole panel and get a replacement from the manufacturer? Every video I saw online was about getting a new double pane glass insert and double side tape it back.

Yes it is. One of mine has been ordered a month ago and arrived last week. They will be coming Tuesday to replace it. Just remember, the glass panel, if within warranty, is covered, the labor to replace it is not. So I'm looking at about a $250 bill.

If you look VERY closely around the edges, you might be able to see exactly where the leak occured. It won't look like much, but it will be noticeable. Like a little V shaped split. Nobody at this point has offered me an explanation as to why this might happen. Some of my windows are subject to extreme heat from the sun, and they are all fine. This one doesn't get direct sun, yet the seal broke. 🤔

If it hasn't fogged inside yet, it will do so very quickly.
Mine were warranted for 15 years.

What happens to mine is the glass fractured and get sucked into the "chamber" like it got vacuumed inward. It doesn't look like it has an impact, so either thermal expansion (1/2 the glass is under the sun the other 1/2 isn't), or some extreme heat delta between different part of the window.

Found out that it is a Mercer Window part 030-034, or something like that. The window was installed way back before my kids were borned when our neighbor's construction company shot a nail through the old window and the replacement guy ruined the old window frame's installation. My guess is this would be at least from 12-14 years ago so most likely out of warranty (and Mercer Windows was out of business and inventories / equipment sold to VPI windows).

This window is on the 2/F bathroom, so it is definitely not a DIY (I have no ladder this tall), should I be looking for a "Window Fitter"? or a glass company? At the moment I think I might be able to get by with maybe something covering up the broken glass still stuck there (some actually popped into the bathtub), like plexiglass or transparent packaging tapes.

I had the same thing happen to my bedroom window. I am waiting on a replacement. I ordered one and was told it would be 6 weeks. I was told because of covid.

Back