CR Tire Ratings from 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for reference, this is before a few nice models hit the market, good ones like Kumho ASX and ContiExtreme. Nevertheless, here is the list in order.

Performace All-Season:
1 Falken Ziex 512
2 Bridgestone Turanza LS-H
3 Bridgestone Potenza RE950
4 Michelin XGT
5 Dunlop SP A2
6 Michelin MXV4+
7 Pirelli P6
8 Sumitomo Srixon 4
9 Yokohama A550H
10 ContiTouringContact
11 Kelly Charger
12 Cooper Lifeliner
13 Yokohama Avid H4
14 Toyo Proxes TPT
15 Goodyear Eagle LS
16 Uniroyal Tiger Paw HR
17 General Exclaim
18 Firestone Affinity LH30

Performance:
1 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3
2 Toyo Proxes T1-S
3 Continental SportContact2
4 Michelin Pilot Sport
5 Dunlop SP 9000
6 Pirelli PZero
7 Bridgestone Potenza S-03
8 Hankook Ventus K104
9 Yokohama AVS ES100
10 BFGoodrich g-Force KDW
11 Firestone Firehawk SZ50
12 Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
13 Sumitomo HTRZ II

My only comment is on the Proxes TPT, many people swear by them. I have no experience wih them, but are skeptical.

Ok, another comment...on the Falkens. Mine were horrible, 2 bubbles on 1 tire!
mad.gif

Quote:

Just for reference, this is before a few nice models hit the market, good ones like Kumho ASX and ContiExtreme. Nevertheless, here is the list in order.

Performace All-Season:
1 Falken Ziex 512
2 Bridgestone Turanza LS-H
3 Bridgestone Potenza RE950
4 Michelin XGT
5 Dunlop SP A2
6 Michelin MXV4+
7 Pirelli P6
8 Sumitomo Srixon 4
9 Yokohama A550H
10 ContiTouringContact
11 Kelly Charger
12 Cooper Lifeliner
13 Yokohama Avid H4
14 Toyo Proxes TPT
15 Goodyear Eagle LS
16 Uniroyal Tiger Paw HR
17 General Exclaim
18 Firestone Affinity LH30

Performance:
1 Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3
2 Toyo Proxes T1-S
3 Continental SportContact2
4 Michelin Pilot Sport
5 Dunlop SP 9000
6 Pirelli PZero
7 Bridgestone Potenza S-03
8 Hankook Ventus K104
9 Yokohama AVS ES100
10 BFGoodrich g-Force KDW
11 Firestone Firehawk SZ50
12 Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
13 Sumitomo HTRZ II

My only comment is on the Proxes TPT, many people swear by them. I have no experience wih them, but are skeptical.

Ok, another comment...on the Falkens. Mine were horrible, 2 bubbles on 1 tire!
mad.gif

Yeah, I'm more than a little disappointed in the 512s as well.
frown.gif

Some tires on that list are now long gone (Firehawk SZ50s for example).

I wannem real thick and juicy
So find that juicy double
Mix-a-lot's in trouble
Beggin for a piece of that bubble

cool.gif

If I have to explain it, you're probably too old or too young.

However - while I guess it is fun to talk about these things in general, Consumer Union is often accused to grandstanding to sell magazines and sometimes their test procedures are bizarre pseudoscience. The other thing about the tire test is that it's really hard to judge anything based on brand and model when the characteristics of a particular model change so much with the size, speed rating, loading, and test vehicle. I'm sure there are some design changes between different sizes of the same tire model. My 205/55R16 Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S made in Germany had the A traction rating while the made in USA version had the AA traction rating stamped on the sidewall. When I contacted technical support, they told me the compounds were slightly different, but that both should have about the same performance. They also said something about my tires being made around the time the AA traction rating came out, so the dies said AA. The indication was that it would likely test OK for AA traction.

Quote:

They also said something about my tires being made around the time the AA traction rating came out, so the dies said AA. The indication was that it would likely test OK for AA traction.

That didn't come out right, since AA traction has been listed since the late 90's. It was some sort of strange end-around they used to describe why it didn't say AA traction. They did indicate that they thought it should meet the requirements.

The Ziex 512's have treated me good for three years now. And I, too bought them due to CR and the $. Would I buy them again...probably not. But they sure beat the Potenza RE92's that cam eon the Suby!

Brian

I cannot believe the Ziex 512 is rated higher than RE950, SPA2, and the Avid H4. On the other hand, I do agree with the RE950 > SPA2 > MXV4+ order.

Anyhow, without knowing how they rate the tires it is a useless list. I have a friend who love his s-rated tires better than his t-rated tires because they didn't grip as well and make the car quieter, until the time he nearly fishtailed in the rain.

If I recall it is because of the poor snow/ice rating of the RE950 tires that they were not rated higher. If you only use them for the 3 warmer seasons or live in a warmer climate where snow/ice is not an issue then they gave the 950's their top recommendation.

If gas mileage is important, go with the MXV4+ tires.

My Grand Prix came with Eagle LS tires and I switched to the RE950's when I replaced them. They are much better, especially in the wet, than the LS tires but I lost about 1-2 mpg when I switched.

Put the 512's on our 98 RAV4 and I have nothing but good things to say about their performance. I use dedicated snows in the winter.

Richard.

Quote:

I wannem real thick and juicy
So find that juicy double
Mix-a-lot's in trouble
Beggin for a piece of that bubble

laugh.gif
Yeah bubbles are cool/OK for the derrieres most desired by hip-hoppers, but not so good for hi-po tires' sidewalls!!

My main problem (among many) with CR is that they REALLY are NOT a high performance oriented rag when it comes to autos/tires/auto parts, so they always bias towards practicality/pragmatism.
frown.gif

hey nothing wrong with being practical. ziex are great tyres. ive got 4 myself, my sister has 2,, my dad has 4. no one ever complains about ziex unless you hit the curb or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back