Could use a bit of feedback on this mower....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still shopping around for my mower. I did check out some mowers on craigslist (a few toros and a lawn boy), but they were either overpriced, or had some issues.

My dad has this craftsman mower and loves it :

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-190cc-hig...mp;blockType=G2

He let me mow with it this week...this thing is a monster! I love it! I think it has way more power than I need (old one was only a 5.5), but it hardly broke a sweat doing my lawn, which might be a good thing.... I've also noticed the price has dropped, as he paid over 3 for it. He has even offered to throw a few bucks in to convince me to get one too...
cool.gif

Kinda funny since I only looked at the silver and gold models... Looking at these mowers, I'm pretty sure this one is made by MTD. What do you guys think about it? Seems to be pretty good....though the price starts to put it in mid-level troy built or entry level toro area....

Kinda thinking because I could get a nice discount for opening a sears card (have not had one in 15 years) and could even pay in 12 months (though I'd be done well before xmas.)

This mower might have it easy since I like to set it up higher up anyways (is really helping my grass), so it's not even working as hard (the clippings barely filled the bag from front to back!)

Still have time to decide.....

I really like that the mower has high rear wheels. My personal Toro has high rear wheels and it is much more maneuverable and easier to push over rough terrain. The lack of a drive system means it is simpler and less stuff to service/break. The Briggs and Stratton engine and Craftsman deck means parts are cheap and everywhere. You can find pretty much everything you need for that mower at Sears or Wal-Mart. Some people might knock MTD, but I haven't seen too many problems with the Craftsman mowers made by MTD. Like anything, if you take care of it the mower will last.

The price is good, and the most important thing is that you like using it. I fix lots of mowers every year, and I have to say I have tested some expensive mowers on my yard that just seemed rather awkward to use. Seems like a good mower for the money to me.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I have tested some expensive mowers on my yard that just seemed rather awkward to use.

Have you ever tried a California Trimmer ?

RL257-GX160withcatcher.jpg

I was in the same position earlier this year. I basically wanted a high powered push mower with the high back wheels. I opted for the Honda GCV 160 and haven't looked back. Great engine, for sure.

That Sears mower is identical to the Lowes Troy Bilt TB130 with the Honda engine that sells for $250. The Briggs is a good engine, but I would spend the $10 and get the Honda engine.

Or better yet, keep searching on Craigslist. A good used Toro Super Recycler will pop up for under $150. They originally sold for $550-$650.

I think this Sears mower is over-priced. You're paying nearly $250 for a Briggs Quantum on a deck with a plastic front end. If you want a high-wheel mower, I'd recommend this Sears Craftsman model instead. It still has the plastic front end, but it at least has a smoother OHV engine and you'll save 50 bucks.

Here's the aforementioned TB130 at Lowe's: Troy-Bilt TB130

Or a Lawn-Boy with an OHV Kohler for the same price at Home Depot: Lawn-Boy 17730

You have a lot of choices in this price point if you are looking for a high-wheel bagger, but the Craftsman one would likely be my last choice.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I have tested some expensive mowers on my yard that just seemed rather awkward to use.

I've seen a few of those around but haven't had the opportunity to test one. They look like fun mowers to operate, and I bet the cut is fantastic being a reel mower.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I think this Sears mower is over-priced. You're paying nearly $250 for a Briggs Quantum on a deck with a plastic front end. If you want a high-wheel mower, I'd recommend this Sears Craftsman model instead. It still has the plastic front end, but it at least has a smoother OHV engine and you'll save 50 bucks.

Here's the aforementioned TB130 at Lowe's: Troy-Bilt TB130

Or a Lawn-Boy with an OHV Kohler for the same price at Home Depot: Lawn-Boy 17730

You have a lot of choices in this price point if you are looking for a high-wheel bagger, but the Craftsman one would likely be my last choice.

If you don't mind me asking-why? Just the noise? Looking at the others as well....

When I went to sears last week they had 10 walk behind mowers already on clearance. Many others were on sale.
I also joined shopyourway dot com recently, they offer many coupons, ex 10% off of lawn and garden, also they seem to offer better discounts than sears offers directly. It did not cost anything to join, I only did it to get PP discount at Kmart.
Craftsman club members get even better deals on selected mowers.
Visit to a store might save you a bundle.
I'm curious how does honda gcv160 compare to b&s 190cc platinum in noise department?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
If you don't mind me asking-why? Just the noise? Looking at the others as well....

Yes... Noise, vibration, efficiency, etc. The 190cc Briggs has more than enough power, but it's also 190cc of piston and connecting rod and crankshaft to keep turning. That increased reciprocating mass generally adds vibration (especially in these small single cylinder engines) and unnecessarily takes more fuel to run. The newer small OHV engines (such as in my link to a different Craftsman mower) are much smoother, more fuel efficient, and should still provide plenty of power to take care of your yard. It also has primer bulb starting, so you will never have to mess with a sticking Briggs "Ready Start" automatic choke.

GreenFocus: the Honda GCV160 and Briggs 190cc Quantum are comparable in terms of power, but the Honda is quieter and smoother. It's also more fuel efficient. Some people don't like the internal rubber timing belt. I'm not sure that I've ever heard of one breaking, though. I have a GCV160 that's 10 years old and it continues to run like a champ. I've never had to do anything to that engine...not even clean out the carburetor.

But I don't own and like only Hondas. The newer Briggs OHV engines (from their "Professional" series) are certainly good. I'd like to try one of their "Quiet Power" engines on the upper line Craftsmans, like this one. Their new small OHV engines, like this one, are smooth and light weight. I've found them to have good power for their size.

The Briggs Quantum engines (sometimes called "Platinum" today) are fine, but they're quite old in design, are louder and more fatiguing compared with other engines, and don't stay "tight" for very long. And by "tight" I mean things like engine covers and shrouds start rattling and things like that. Briggs has moved on from these and they are the last side-valve engines in Briggs' lineup. I believe consumers should move on from them as well, especially if buying new.

Wow...that makes sense! Thanks!
smile.gif

Believe it or not, that was one of the issues I thought about...granted, it is a nice feature. My old mower( the old Tecumseh 5.5) did good most of the time, but struggled sometimes in higher grass) I have also learned to raise the cut more, as my grass starting to get thicker as well. Granted, the mower was getting older.....

So I'm thinking all the posted mowers will still have the power I need, as the old one bogging down a little worried me a bit......

I Almost bought that mower back in May, but opted for the Troy Bilt with the Honda motor from lowes. If you plan on buying an Extended warranty go with lowes, theirs is alot cheaper than anywhere else.

Last edited:
I have a similar TB version of the Craftsman mower and love it. I also had a Craftsman mower with a Tecumseh engine for a while and loved it too. They mow well, mulch well and are really good buys. I been thru some OPE in the last few years buying and selling and repairing all types and can tell you that these new mowers are beasts. The Husqvarnas, Craftsmans, Troy-Bilts, Hondas, and Toros are great mowers, just pick the drive system you're most comfortable with and go for it.

The plastic front end is extremely difficult (more like impossible) to repair.

The Kohler engines are not the Kohlers of yesteryear. They are basically Chondas.

Hondas are more fuel efficient, but harder to work on unless you know where the secret carb passage is.

Newer Toros with the 1?? cc engine are powered by a Toro Chonda.

Buy the cheapest big wheel rear bagger/mulcher you can find with a Honda or Briggs engine. The tears you save after the short 5 or 6 years it lasts will be worth it. Maybe by then the nuclear fallout will kill all the grass.

Hokiefyd, thanks for info, that's is what I was looking for and more.
Yeehaw1960, what fallout? Is this current or are you expecting a near future event?
I really really like my toro personal pace with b&s, I got it last century, still cuts like a champ. I often see similar model on clearance for 130-200 range.
But sears seems to have many options under 300.

I've seen a few of those around but haven't had the opportunity to test one. They look like fun mowers to operate, and I bet the cut is fantastic being a reel mower.

They're an absolute blast to use. The lever in the middle is the power drive wheel. You push the handle forward to lower the power wheel to make the mower go. The handle on the left side is for engaging the blade. The handle to the lower right is your cutting height adjustment. And yes, they cut Bermuda grass fantastic. You can make a putting green out of your front yard.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Looks like fun...

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Check TSC if you have one nearby .

Took a look....how are the two brands that they carry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back