Could Tesla trucks be TSLA's greater accomplishment?

MKIV? I remember from that period of time all Japanese vehicles gaining performance due to loss of weight caused by excessive corrosion. Unless, sludge in engine kills it before that.
Yeah, they rusted, but so did my Jetta, I had to patch both fenders and hood was coming apart too. It was better but not impervious to salt. Both had sand traps.

Some of the Toyota's were prone to sludging but almost all of the PD100's had soft cams (except mine, never figured that one out). Camshaft is quite easier to change than stuck rings, but changing one's oil on time prevented sludge, so that's a tie in my book.

That VW had a twist beam rear axle, and they do like to get twisted out of shape over time. But my IRS Toyota's feather rear tires regardless of alignment, so again, a tie. Neither are good on tires as they age.

Yeah, they rusted, but so did my Jetta, I had to patch both fenders and hood was coming apart too. It was better but not impervious to salt. Both had sand traps.

Some of the Toyota's were prone to sludging but almost all of the PD100's had soft cams (except mine, never figured that one out). Camshaft is quite easier to change than stuck rings, but changing one's oil on time prevented sludge, so that's a tie in my book.

That VW had a twist beam rear axle, and they do like to get twisted out of shape over time. But my IRS Toyota's feather rear tires regardless of alignment, so again, a tie. Neither are good on tires as they age.
MKIV was coming mostly from Mexico. Those were non existent issues in Europe as they had zinc protection.
I mean, it has been 28 years since MKIV seen light of day. One thing is that no Japanese manufacturer ever matched reliability of their 1.9tdi engines, when they started to introduce diesels, Toyota being particularly abysmal in that department.

MKIV was coming mostly from Mexico. Those were non existent issues in Europe as they had zinc protection.
I mean, it has been 28 years since MKIV seen light of day. One thing is that no Japanese manufacturer ever matched reliability of their 1.9tdi engines, when they started to introduce diesels, Toyota being particularly abysmal in that department.
As far as diesel goes, no, Toyota didn't make a good diesel. Make a good gas engine? I'm pretty sure they've made a few. Ironically the 5S-FE is known for sludging and leaking, and yet is a known high mile engine (I owned one, it did all 3).

I know the VE 1.9's were longer lived but the PD's were smoother. But I think they cost more at higher miles? more expensive injectors and all.

I still cannot get over how a flywheel can go bad... world's most simple part and VW had to make it complicated.

Anyhow. 2005 was last year for MKIV? in NA anyhow. I had a 2004. That was less than 28 years ago. And mine did have really good zinc treatment, as gauged by the rock chips and how slowly it did rust. Still. Fenders perforated, as did the hood and the rear hatch. VW didn't want to warranty that. So they're just like everyone else.

Tesla clearly intended the CT to have a look unlike anything else on the road.
Like it or hate it, it is distinctive.
This is what will attract buyers willing to part with the kind of coin needed to buy one of these, along with the beta tester ownership experience with early examples.
I think Rivian erred in offering what looks like a very conventional pickup with a goofy front end.
Can Tesla make a success of this thing? Time will tell, but I wouldn't bet against them.
Yeah, that Rivian seems to be a much loved truck, in comparison reviews too. Nothing seems to match it.
I couldnt agree more though. That front end looks goofy is an understatement in my eyes anyway. I dont understand who makes decisions like that at times, yet, I guess many people like the look?

As far as diesel goes, no, Toyota didn't make a good diesel. Make a good gas engine? I'm pretty sure they've made a few. Ironically the 5S-FE is known for sludging and leaking, and yet is a known high mile engine (I owned one, it did all 3).

I know the VE 1.9's were longer lived but the PD's were smoother. But I think they cost more at higher miles? more expensive injectors and all.

I still cannot get over how a flywheel can go bad... world's most simple part and VW had to make it complicated.

Anyhow. 2005 was last year for MKIV? in NA anyhow. I had a 2004. That was less than 28 years ago. And mine did have really good zinc treatment, as gauged by the rock chips and how slowly it did rust. Still. Fenders perforated, as did the hood and the rear hatch. VW didn't want to warranty that. So they're just like everyone else.
PD was much rougher engine. It was delivering more power and less consumption, but compared to CR technology that BMW had in 1998, it just wasn’t a match. That engine technology was a root of dieselgate. PD was particularly bad when it comes to NOx, and once they realized they can’t meet future emissions standards, they switched to CR, but they fell behind MB, BMW etc.
That flywheel just wasn’t a match for all that torque. VW in general underestimates that part, unlike BMW whose clutch assembly can last forever. Both companies sourcing parts from SACHS.

PD was much rougher engine. It was delivering more power and less consumption, but compared to CR technology that BMW had in 1998, it just wasn’t a match. That engine technology was a root of dieselgate. PD was particularly bad when it comes to NOx, and once they realized they can’t meet future emissions standards, they switched to CR, but they fell behind MB, BMW etc.
That flywheel just wasn’t a match for all that torque. VW in general underestimates that part, unlike BMW whose clutch assembly can last forever. Both companies sourcing parts from SACHS.
I recall when the common rails came out, those were expensive to repair when they went, but as I didn't own one, I didn't pay too much attention. Thought I got in at just the right time, between those two technologies, although if I were get one again, I might go back to VE, if I had a chance. Maybe...

Bummer on the clutch. I mean, I had 249,000 miles on mine when the DMF gave up on life. Clutch disc was in mint shape and had another 250k of life, easily. Would have reused but I didn't want to do the job again so a SMF went in... and I think that passed extra vibrations onto the trans, as I think that was making noise towards the 300k mark. Who knows what would have gone next.

I recall when the common rails came out, those were expensive to repair when they went, but as I didn't own one, I didn't pay too much attention. Thought I got in at just the right time, between those two technologies, although if I were get one again, I might go back to VE, if I had a chance. Maybe...

Bummer on the clutch. I mean, I had 249,000 miles on mine when the DMF gave up on life. Clutch disc was in mint shape and had another 250k of life, easily. Would have reused but I didn't want to do the job again so a SMF went in... and I think that passed extra vibrations onto the trans, as I think that was making noise towards the 300k mark. Who knows what would have gone next.
DMF is not a problem per se, it was just not robust enough.
249k on VW DMF on diesel is good actually.

DMF is not a problem per se, it was just not robust enough.
249k on VW DMF on diesel is good actually.
I hadn't planned on it going out. I mean, part of me wanted the clutch to wear out, so I could put in a bigger one, and chip it, maybe some day put in a bigger turbo... but I hadn't planned on it. Can't plan for everything I guess. I did expect some repairs after 250k, so it was "ok" in the end, and I did get the 300k I had planned for.

Sounds like they are still weak? I recall asking last year about it behind the 1.5T's and was told they were still a problem. Maybe it's now the clutch and not the DMF.

I hadn't planned on it going out. I mean, part of me wanted the clutch to wear out, so I could put in a bigger one, and chip it, maybe some day put in a bigger turbo... but I hadn't planned on it. Can't plan for everything I guess. I did expect some repairs after 250k, so it was "ok" in the end, and I did get the 300k I had planned for.

Sounds like they are still weak? I recall asking last year about it behind the 1.5T's and was told they were still a problem. Maybe it's now the clutch and not the DMF.
DMF is not a problem per se anymore. But for example, on A/S4 it won’t last nearly as long as on BMW. Not sure why.

Most of the problems I have seen with VW are due to improper service, using incorrect fluids and negligence. The thing is in their domestic market they are among the most reliable a long lived cars. Tesla structural failures are for the most part unheard of on any German or Euro car, these are not old cars and not accident victims. Lets look a few like the cracked aluminum strut tower on the model X.
cracked-aluminum-strut-tower-22-model-x.jpg

The model Y cracked control arm.

tesla-model-y-2023-control-arm-broken-.jpg

Giga casting failures

tesla front casting cracking.jpg

tesla-calls-front-casting-crack-a-discontinuity.jpg

Rear control arm failures.

Tesla rear control arm failure.jpg

And finally Tesla's fix for weak giga casting, riv nut a piece of metal reinforcement under the strut tower instead of addressing the issue properly making the casting thicker or using a higher grade of aluminum. To add insult to injury Tesla call this a discontinuation and the fan boys swallow that hook line and sinker. The TUV engineers are a bit smarter than that and call it a crack in a structural element which is exactly what it is.
Crap like this found Tesla on the bottom of the list or most failures of any cars they have inspected.

tesla.jpg

Most of the problems I have seen with VW are due to improper service, using incorrect fluids and negligence. The thing is in their domestic market they are among the most reliable a long lived cars. Tesla structural failures are for the most part unheard of on any German or Euro car, these are not old cars and not accident victims. Lets look a few like the cracked aluminum strut tower on the model X.
View attachment 217726

View attachment 217727

Giga casting failures

View attachment 217728
View attachment 217729

View attachment 217730

And finally Tesla's fix for weak giga casting, riv nut a piece of metal reinforcement under the strut tower instead of addressing the issue properly making the casting thicker or using a higher grade of aluminum. To add insult to injury Tesla call this a discontinuation and the fan boys swallow that hook line and sinker. The TUV engineers are a bit smarter than that and call it a crack in a structural element which is exactly what it is.
Crap like this found Tesla on the bottom of the list or most failures of any cars they have inspected.

View attachment 217731
Speaking of VW, there are certain fluid change intervals that are common in Europe that the service doesn't even exist in the US dealer network. I had to give them the information to do the front Haldex locker on the GTI. Haldex only pulls up AWD service in the US network.

As far as the Gigacasting issues, I haven't had an issue and have heard nothing about it anywhere but this site, so I don't know how widespread the issue is. I would think it would come up on Reddit Tesla pages. It may have, I just haven't seen anything myself.

View attachment 217726

View attachment 217727

Giga casting failures

View attachment 217728
View attachment 217729

View attachment 217730

View attachment 217731

It's just that new gigacrack technology.

It's just that new gigacrack technology.
I think the process of large parts casting is a good one and will be used by many manufacturers at some point, but this looks more like a material failure more than a process failure ditto the broken aluminum rear control arm that other makers have been using for decades without issue. I am guessing if cracks like these were found on an aircraft structure the whistleblowers would be coming out of the woodwork and fleets grounded, the explanation by the head of xyz aircraft company that the cracks are just a harmless discontinuation would fall on deaf ears.

I think the process of large parts casting is a good one and will be used by many manufacturers at some point, but this looks more like a material failure more than a process failure ditto the broken aluminum rear control arm that other makers have been using for decades without issue. I am guessing if cracks like these were found on an aircraft structure the whistleblowers would be coming out of the woodwork and fleets grounded, the explanation by the head of xyz aircraft company that the cracks are just a harmless discontinuation would fall on deaf ears.
What location of the car are people finding this on? Is it specific to certain models? I'm curious to look if I should be concerned.

Was listening to a recent podcast (I think it was batteries included) and their Cybertruck @7k miles was becoming a noisy rattle trap. Sounds like very poor quality.

What location of the car are people finding this on? Is it specific to certain models? I'm curious to look if I should be concerned.
Near the front strut tower on the model 3, it was found after removing the trim pieces in the front under hood compartment. I don't know what good it will do looking for it, if you find it Tesla will not do anything for it, see if yours has the metal piece riveted on under the tower.

Back