Cost to change garage torsion spring

going to call a few places tommorow and see.
Yes, call a few places. You'll want to have some measurements handy (just guessing - door width, wood/metal door, spring length (probably standardized though), etc) and they can give you a cost over the phone.

I don't think it will be that high but better to be prepared for a higher amount ! Garage door service work is amazingly inexpensive, in my experience but that said, if a competent professional will make an on-site service call to my house and do a repair including parts for under $300, I'm happy !! I don't question how long the service takes or if they can do the work quickly.

I have installed the springs in my younger days but It is wiser to pay a pro , get heavy duty springs and pay for the install by a pro. It is much cheaper that an emergency room visit and the cost of the surgery to sew up you hand/ time off work etc.. I had a friend try to do it ,lacking the mechanical ability and his had was severely damaged. Yes Severely damaged.

I have installed the springs in my younger days but It is wiser to pay a pro , get heavy duty springs and pay for the install by a pro. It is much cheaper that an emergency room visit and the cost of the surgery to sew up you hand/ time off work etc.. I had a friend try to do it ,lacking the mechanical ability and his had was severely damaged. Yes Severely damaged.
Words well spoken - for most homeowner.

This falls under my philosophy for struts. I don't mess with strong springs. Luckily my garage doors are the other kind of springs and those are easy peasy to replace. Except Home Depot didn't have the exact springs I needed so my garage door wouldn't balance like it did before. It would either go slowly down from the up/open position or moderately fast up from the down/closed position. I chose to with the stronger spring so the motor has it a little easier on the way up and little harder on the way down.

Words well spoken - for most homeowner.
Perhaps. I've done it five times on my own doors and three times for friends, if the door is large and heavy then yes it's more likely you could get injured if you're careless. But on lightweight aluminum doors the tension just isn't that high and it's really not very dangerous.

As for finding replacement springs I always buy mine online. Some places have calculators but if you know the original spring diameter and length you can just order the same thing as what was originally installed. You can buy different springs that have a better minimum cycle count though, that's what I did and they last longer than the less expensive ones. I've always bought new cones and let the spring company install them for me.

Also whether you are having someone replace the spring or you're doing it yourself make sure the bottom rollers are replaced. That's not safe to do with the spring under tension and it only costs a few dollars more to get it done. Also check the bearing plates since those are often worn out at the same time as the spring.

I'm not associated with this place nor do I get royalties but I've always bought my parts and supplies from DDM Garage Doors. They have helpful videos on their site.

Last edited:
My daughter just had hers done. $500 for hd springs because of a insulated door.
245BDFC7-F8AC-4D60-A924-2E7269CEE766.jpeg
E249DDEB-B151-497E-9929-EC2701D49AEC.jpeg

Back