Corrosion X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corrosion X is mostly mineral oil with some ester, solvent and corrosion package. Very similar to BF but it uses PAO. Even the solvent contents are similar. I use their Aviation for the occasions that I need a spray can (like locks), not a big fan of their standard stuff though.

A guy on Sig forum did cold flow test @ ~0F and it was the worst of the products he tested.

Tempest,

Thank you for the indepth explaination of the difference. Since I bought the bottle anyway so it's gonna be used. The variety of oils on the gun market is amazing!!!! Wether one is better than the other they're all good enough to be used in my guns.

Durango

This has been a frequent topic on this and other boards since someone figured out that oil works better than bear grease in the winter. The frequently reached bottom line is that any gun oil or lubricant, or otherwise will just about do the job as long as the job is done. Leave any firearm dirty or neglected and it doesn't matter what you use. Corrosion X, Break Free, and even WD 40 are good long term rust protectants. There are other products out there that leave a wax film after use that I have grown to like, and I believe they are better for long term storage. Grease has its adherrents and I believe there are occasions for its use.
Bottom line for me is this: I want to know that what I currently use is the best for the least. It's shocking to me how gun oil and the like is sold at a premium by the ounce! After all, no one has up to this point explained what ingredients and percent compared to the the base oil their brand of super gunk has to justify that outrageous price! Corrosion X is good, and so are a bunch of other products out there.
I currently have on hand enough to clean and lube my firearms for the next several years and probably will be given or come by even more than I'll ever use. Still, I like the Corrosion X probably because their advertising makes me think I'm doing my firearms a favor.

hi-miller,

Thanks for your recent posting. I'm in the same boat as you are. I too have enough oil to last for several years!!!! I admit with the vast variety that I have my purchase shouldn't have taken place. The only item I kiked about the oil was that it has a needle to place a precise drop of oil exactly where I need it without placing a BIG drop. For small linkages and levers any type of oil is fine with me. I was just curious about what others say about the rpoduct. Most of the time I'm a Breakfree fan.

Durango

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Interesting results. WD-40 scored better than I thought it would have. I buy it buy the gallon and use it for a solvent for wet cleaning firearms. Afterward I blow dry with compressed air, then lubricate. I used to use Kerosene, but since the rise in oil prices it's not much cheaper than WD-40, plus WD-40 smells a lot better! Bill T.

CorrsionisX and Eecox are the two best for rust prevention. Good for storing your weapons. I never use them for lubrication as there are better products for that.

A guy I used to work with had several high dollar Browning rifles . He had given up hunting years ago but wanted to keep the rifles in the family . He would rub them down with VASELINE , wrap them in a cotton towel and place them in a gun case . They had been stored this way for years without ANY rust problems . Cheaper than all of those fancy name brand oils and greases .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back