Corolla ATF drain and fill observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnefine, motorcraft, spx, and wix have inline filters.

Permacool is more expensive up front but allows just about any 3/4" threaded filters. So, the filter could be a Supertech/Proline/Generic PH8a sized(or PH977 double size), or pH3600/PH3614..... depending on how much room you have, or equivalent threaded boutique filter like Amsoil, Mobil1, RoyalPurple, Extendedguard..... Also, with an oil filter, I do recommend some stick-on neo magnets or a filtermag type device.

In a non-abused transmission, 30k is reasonable or every 2 yrs. If transmission has any known issues or is worked, 15k or once a year.

Originally Posted By: TheOak
bepperb said:
In addition ... any recommendations as to a good ATF inline filter? How ofter should these guys be swapped out?

Thanks ...

The easiest,IMO, is to install a 3/8" Magnafine which cost $15 every 30K. While not as cheap as using an automotive oil filter it is much easier to install and the magnet removes ferrous material. I'm using this set-up in my Accord and plan to install it in the Corolla at the first ATF change.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
It's not a hard project. Is there enough space for you to work easily between the radiator and the transmission. It's just cutting the return line, putting the filter in the splice, and some clamps on each side. Then putting maybe five ounces of ATF in to compensate for the volume of the filter.

Fifteen minutes.

I wish I could find a diagram showing all tranny lines and those coming out of the radiator. That would really help me visualize which one is the return, etc.

I'll keep searching for one. They sell around 200K Corollas every year, so there should be a ton of diagrams or a write up for a 9th generation Corolla.

SF: Looking at your radiator you will see a small loop of hose down in the left corner (passenger side). You will see that this hose is connected to the ATF line. This is a good location to 'splice in' a Magnafine filter. The only question is which direction the ATF is flowing? Disconnect the hose and have a helper start the car momentarily...and watch which side the ATF flows from. Install the Magnafine with the arrow pointing in the direction of flow. Magnafine recommends installing the filter after the oil cooler (which is inside the radiator) in cars with over 5K. That is the location where Darrell from Emergent Tech. (a site sponser who sells Magnafines very reasonably) recommends.

Originally Posted By: pbm
SF: Looking at your radiator you will see a small loop of hose down in the left corner (passenger side). You will see that this hose is connected to the ATF line. This is a good location to 'splice in' a Magnafine filter. The only question is which direction the ATF is flowing? Disconnect the hose and have a helper start the car momentarily...and watch which side the ATF flows from. Install the Magnafine with the arrow pointing in the direction of flow. Magnafine recommends installing the filter after the oil cooler (which is inside the radiator) in cars with over 5K. That is the location where Darrell from Emergent Tech. (a site sponser who sells Magnafines very reasonably) recommends.

PBM, Thank you very much. This is going to help big time. Ordering the Magnefine today via their web site. I wonder if I need their "smart clips" for an additional 3.50? Probably just throw them in the cart in case I need them.

I have a very willing and able assistant (the wife) to help me!

Also now knowing that we have them as as site sponsor is very good to know.

Thanks again PBM.
cheers3.gif

SF: You won't need the 'smart clips' since you are installing it into the hose and not into a metal line. I just looked at the site inorder to refresh my memory and I notice that the filters have gone up a dollar to $16. This is still a good price considering you only do it every 30K. Good Luck

SF: You won't need the 'smart clips' since you are installing it into the hose and not into a metal line. I just looked at the site inorder to refresh my memory and I notice that the filters have gone up a dollar to $16. This is still a good price considering you only do it every 30K. Good Luck

PBM, thanks again for the help.

I was under the false impression that for some reason i would have to cut into metal lines and stuff like that. Cutting into a rubber type hose neatly, tapping into it with a filter, and hose clamping it off again sounds like something even I could do!

banana2.gif

Sorry in advance if I am hijacking this thread ...

I have found my ATF cooling lines that go to my radiator. As it snakes its way along it varies between rubber hose and metal piping.

With that being said, I have determined which line goes to the top of the radiator, and which line goes to the bottom.

Is there any kind of "universal" ATF cooling rule that states the return line is always from the bottom (for example)?

Why is it different after 5K miles? Seems a little arbitrary to me.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back