Cordless Rotary Tool Recommendation

Would folks please share their experiences and recommendations for a cordless rotary tool? Dremel, Milwaukee, Ryobi all seem decent, but looking for experiences. Thanks.

Any reason for cordless? I can only envision the negatives like heavier and bulkier, another battery to keep recharged and replace when worn out, another charger cluttering up the workbench, higher price, etc.

I have a Hyper Tough 8v MAX and it works perfectly fine but it doesn't have a swappable battery. They also have a 12v version with a removeable lithium battery for not much more I personally wouldn't hesitate on buying it they come with a little starter kit.

For cordless needs you probably can't beat them for the money.

I have an actual DREMEL brand cordless as well and the battery stopped holding a charge within a few months, it was never abused so me personally I wont purchase another DREMEL brand cordless.

I've got the M12 only because I've got a zillion Milwaukee batteries.

I don't have much need for a small rotary tool like this but I've found it incredibly handy with the Dremel chainsaw sharpening stone and guide. That's all I really use it for.

I have an air tool for HD stuff

A Milwaukee 12V right angle. Works well.

I have a Dremel corded and cordless. The corded is pretty old and getting quite rough. I must say, the cordless version is pretty good. Came with two batteries that are both strong. I reach for it for small stuff and hasn't failed me yet.

My only hate for Dremel is the tiny chuck wrench. I can never find it. And somehow I only have one!

Dremels don’t stand up to hard use in my experience. I like my Milwaukee.
For sure. I don't consider a Dremel a hard use tool. For real hard use, air is best.
Pablo- Get yourself one of these and toss the wrench. Lots of them on Amazon for under $10.

Do they grip well?

I got the Milwaukee as a cheap add-on when buying another M12 tool. I've used it more than I thought I would, and it's been handy to have as a cordless.

It's pretty loud and vibrates a lot if you crank the speed up, but I don't know how that would compare to other brands/models.

Would folks please share their experiences and recommendations for a cordless rotary tool? Dremel, Milwaukee, Ryobi all seem decent, but looking for experiences. Thanks.
My experience with these things is all over the map. I use an old corded Dremel on the bench a lot but the old cordless was a mixed bag, it worked well enough until it let the smoke out and the plastic in the nose caught fire. I did over tax the tool by a mile on this job but there was not real alternative for an air tool.
My brother has the Milwaukee, and it sucks, it vibrates like crazy at higher speeds, it is loud and has not so great battery life, it shuts off too much when doing light work, in general a cheapo tool.
Now I have a Dremel 8250, it is stronger than the old ones and has a brushless motor, vibration free and good battery life, you can also use Bosch 12v batteries in these.

I'm not actually answering the question (about cordless) but I've also got the Astro pencil grinder for detail work or truly tight spaces. The problem with the M12 is the size relative to power.

And I'm just talking 1/8" collet stuff. The M12 "die grinders" are in a different league (but still can't keep up with air) but I don't think of a die grinder as a "rotary tool" -- at least as far as commonly accepted nomenclature in this market

Any reason for cordless? I can only envision the negatives like heavier and bulkier, another battery to keep recharged and replace when worn out, another charger cluttering up the workbench, higher price, etc.
Completely agree with you and why it took me this long to even look at one, but with a boat on stands and an airplane in a shared hangar both could either be near or 100' from an outlet. Figure one tool in a case is easier than planning on multiple extension cords which are constantly being run over....

Last edited:
I've got the M12 only because I've got a zillion Milwaukee batteries.

I don't have much need for a small rotary tool like this but I've found it incredibly handy with the Dremel chainsaw sharpening stone and guide. That's all I really use it for.
I just got one and love it. I've got the batteries and charger, and the tool works really well. Most of my rotary tool (Dremel) use is episodic, and short, so cordless is awesome.

Back