Copper Pipe Soldering Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJxGcpybFvw
The torch is being held too far away. You can see it at 4.40 into the video.
What I found interesting in the video is that bread is being used as a plug to stop and hold back water. I have only used bread to absorb very small amounts of water coming in, not to hold back flow. I am going to try this out and see if it works. With the amount of flow shown in the beginning of the video, that plug would have to hold back a foot (I am just using this figure for the purpose of discussion) of water column pressure and not let any water through.
This is what I use instead of bread
https://www.amazon.com/Plumbers-Bre...KRJ6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:
Bread only works with a very slow drip and have to use a more heat on the fitting because its a race between time. Take to long drip seeps through bread then your back to square 1.

That is what I thought too, it only works with slow drips. Look at the flow in the video, shown towards the beginning of the video. That is quite the flow and bread stopped that?
He also takes his time preparing the joint after stuffing the bread. I am in a big hurry after the bread is in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by George7941
I am in a big hurry after the bread is in.

+1. He should have stopped the flow faster by using the shop vac first.

You can still solder with water coming out like that. Done it countless times. You can never solder it if the water doesn't have somewhere to go. I.E. you are trying to solder the last fitting on a section of piping that is lower than the rest with some water in it. Essentially trapped. But if the water has somewhere to go it can be soldered.......within reason. If it is coming out looking like the end of a garden hose then no. But that amount is doable.

Maps gas is your friend. This is not something that any green apprentice will be pulling off right away. Takes a little finesse.
[Linked Image]

For the guy who is not quite up to the challenge yet, they make these little gems.
[Linked Image]

I've been out of the game for a while obviously. I have never used this flow through kind.
[Linked Image]

I'm unsure if I ever tried the bread thing. Maybe once when I was brand new. I guess I was just fortunate to have a few good journeyman that showed me how it was done.

I use ProPex too. But the adapter still has to be soldered on to the copper pipe.

I keep Sharkbites in my toolbox. It will save my hide if I have turned off the water to a building and cannot solder a joint because the water won't stop dripping.

lf4515050-3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back