Cooling system flush additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two '06 F-150s. Have had one for a while that was fleet maintained. I have done a drain and refill each Fall with 50/50 Zerex G05 and distilled water. Just bought the other one and have no idea about its maintenance history. I'm planning on draining both of them, removing the thermostat, and flushing them out well with a garden hose, then flushing again with distilled water, adding 3 gallons of Zerex (system holds just under 24 quarts) and topping off with distilled water. Would I be well advised to flush with a garden hose first, remove the thermostat, and add a can of cooling system flush and let it do its thing before I proceed? I lost a heater core once from cooling system flush, and I'm a little hesitant. Your thoughts? Also, if I should flush, what cooling system flush would you use for a 2006 F-150? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vigilant
I have done a drain and refill each Fall with 50/50 Zerex G05 and distilled water.

That seems like overkill. Should be good for at least 5 years/60,000 miles before changing.

I would not use a flush additive unless there is an issue. I would just drain and refill the radiator every other year with G-05.

A flush with tap water is a PIA as you need to flush it with distilled water to get out all the tap water. Doing a partial drain and refill with G-05 should handle it.

The yearly D&F's are overkill with the G-05 coolant, it can go much longer. The distilled water is also overkill if it will not be in there more than a year.

For the new one, you could use the Prestone flush product available at Walmart and such. It's very mild, but if poured in and driven for a few days, it can do some cleaning that may not get done with a garden hose water flush alone.

The Prestone product will not remove anything that could cause a problem though. It can clean somewhat, thereby preventing future problems or stopping a currently small problem from getting worse. So if the new Ford has a badly neglected cooling system, forego the Prestone product for something more substantial and invasive.

I use RMI-125. Its a drive with additive. Burps up any crud into the overflow reservoir. Supposed to do some other magical things I can't see. Like (from the RMI-125 site) ..

CLEANS - radiators, engine blocks, heater cores, hoses…the complete system
INHIBITS - rust, build-up of mineral deposits, cavitation erosion, electrolysis and pitting
LUBRICATES - thermostats, water pump seals, and heater controls
CONDITIONS - improves heat transfer
STABILIZES - contains a pH stabilizer for acid-alkaline balance
FLUSHES - power flushes in combination with your water pump while you drive
DETECTS LEAKS - contains a leak detector which pinpoints leaks under a black fluorescent lamp

It seems like it helps, my heat blazes in all my vehicle. No overheating issues ever. No replacement parts ever. OK a hose once.. Is it thanks to this magic liquid? Or my neurotic coolant flushes? I have no idea. But it feels good when I pour this stuff in lol.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I use RMI-125. Its a drive with additive. Burps up any crud into the overflow reservoir. Supposed to do some other magical things I can't see. Like (from the RMI-125 site) ..

CLEANS - radiators, engine blocks, heater cores, hoses…the complete system
INHIBITS - rust, build-up of mineral deposits, cavitation erosion, electrolysis and pitting
LUBRICATES - thermostats, water pump seals, and heater controls
CONDITIONS - improves heat transfer
STABILIZES - contains a pH stabilizer for acid-alkaline balance
FLUSHES - power flushes in combination with your water pump while you drive
DETECTS LEAKS - contains a leak detector which pinpoints leaks under a black fluorescent lamp

It seems like it helps, my heat blazes in all my vehicle. No overheating issues ever. No replacement parts ever. OK a hose once.. Is it thanks to this magic liquid? Or my neurotic coolant flushes? I have no idea. But it feels good when I pour this stuff in lol.

Any suggestions as to where I can buy some? I can't find anyone that has it in stock. Tried Ebay and Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back