Coolant Test Strips

Status
Not open for further replies.
My green coolant still looks great after 18 months, but I know looks are not everything, does anybody know if NAPA or CarQuest sell Coolant Test strips too test the coolant.

If they do not, where can I buy the stuff.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
I buy mine at my local Napa.

That's what I wanted too hear, I have a NAPA near me, I will be going over there tomorrow.

Aren't test strips used mostly on HD coolants, with the main component being tested nitrites, which are not that important in automobile coolants?

Uaual test for automobile coolants is to check the glycol concentration, which can be done with an inexpensive hydrometer. Other than that you just go by time. After a couple of years there is a tendency for the silicates and phosphates to precipitate out, so the coolant should be changed every two to three years. Test strips are not going to tell you that silicates and phosphates are coming out of solution.

I stopped by NAPA and they did not have the coolant test strips, CarQuest can get them for me, but I will just change this coolant every 2 years, I average about 14,000 miles a year on this car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back