coolant test strips for exhaust gases

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know of or have used anything to detect exhaust gases in coolant? i might be checking out a truck and not sure if there's a reputable mechanic in the immediate area to pressure test the coolant system. is there anything out there?

Depending on the type of failure in my experience it rarely shows a positive test. I prefer a 5 has analyzer for this or if the combustion gases are overpressurizing the cooling system I "T" a gauge into the system and watch it while I drive the vehicle. This works very well for Diesel engines too.

If you can, remove radiator cap, top off with fluid, and look for bubbles while running.

Another test is to squeeze the upper radiator hose to feel the pressure inside. With the engine cold, take the radiator cap off to release any pressure and make sure the radiator is full to the top. Then put the cap back on, start the engine and rev it. If you feel pressure build up right away, that is a problem with the head gasket. Pressure should not change much until the engine warms up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back