Coolant O’Rama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my 2000 Taurus is 20 years old with 160,000 miles. It still has the original rad and water pump. I changed the coolant every five years, draining and filling with distilled water twice each time and then adding ordinary Motomaster or Prestone concentrated coolant which are advertised as universal coolants. ( Prestone formulation changed and re-branded as Cor-Guard) But for the coolant freaks I have this artful display of nine different OEM brand coolants available at my local Canadian Tire store. Whatever floats your Phoat. Here we go.

6A94FA7E-01F7-42DB-957F-197CDADE3FCB.jpeg

E89B03B9-8553-44F5-9431-B020722347C1.jpeg

0BF1237F-B6C2-4033-B3AF-A034890FAAE3.jpeg

0BFFD2EB-958F-4F03-847D-90357AEC8419.jpeg

EBA77D23-CC02-4A7E-BF9D-4BC2B66D08AB.jpeg

0F12ED2D-103C-4C9E-A245-FF5B9BD39106.jpeg

Last edited:
interesting... is there a detail chart somewhere for what each one replaces...
for example jeep has purple in my 2019 cherokee which is different than my 2017 cherokee

Ugh, why do the OEMs need to make something rather straight forward into a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma?
For something that old, I'd pick the Prestone Corguard or the universal of your choice.
It looks like all of these you've illustrated are manufacturer specific.

If I'm off base I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
www.oemantifreeze.com but newest is 2016. I might flip the containers and photograph them next time I'm there.
smile.gif

Well when you follow the link, it drops you right onto a page to enter your model and find your correct application.
That was easy...
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Personally I'd be leery of the OEM "Orange I" Chrysler FCA recommendation. Looks like DexCool OAT to me, and that not what's used in newer FCA vehicles. Starting in 13 FCA Chrysler went to OAT but no 2eha found in Dex. Before that Chrysler used G05 HOAT, which would/should be same as Gold Ford/Linc/Merc. "Orange II" may be same as OEM gold because G-05 HOAT was orange-ish for Chrysler FCA pre 2013. So thinking there is no OEM brand equivalent for 2013- FCA vehicles. Another chart below showing OEM AFs.

Asian OEM types used to be sold at PepBoys in the States but with exception of what's left on shelves, 'appears' to have been discontinued.

http://www.recochem.com/us/media/uploads/downloads/OEM_Coolant_Selecton_Guide_USA_EN_1216.pdf

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
What is the shelf life for antifreeze in the bottle ? I still have an application that uses old-style green.

The shelf life depends on the formulation I would think.

Any of the universal formulations should be sufficient for the application you reference.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
What is the shelf life for antifreeze in the bottle ? I still have an application that uses old-style green.

Valvoline told me 5 years whether in bottle or in service.

Don't stock up on coolant and check manufacture date when you buy.

Originally Posted by E150GT
I refuse to buy 50/50
They have concentrate, too. I bought some of their dex concentrate from Canadian Tire. Great deal if you have a coolant leak or consumption in a beater you don't care to fix or want to defer repairs until spring time.

that link is ok but stops at 2015.5 (only half of 2016 is available)

also not sure about accuracy. IIRC my 2017 used pink, and my 2019 is purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back