Coolant ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I have a 2002 VW Passat that should have G-12 coolant in it. I recently had to replace a hose and lost some coolant. I topped it off with distilled water but after bleeding the system I need to add more coolant, as right now I am at -10deg f protection and do not want to dilute it any further. Well to my surprise I am told G-12 should be pink in color. The coolant I have is an orangish yellow color.

Is there any way to tell what coolant this is, I really do not want to do a complete drain and flush in VT in the middle of the winter, and considering I only need maybe 2 cups of coolant, it seems like a big waste.

No way to tell unfortunately. It does look like G05 though.

If you only need a little bit, you should still be covered as far as freezing is concerned.

Personally, I would take the car to a trusted dealer or independent and have them do a full coolant flush. We only charged $119.95 for a full flush vs $89.95 for a "change."

Isn't G12 the same as Dexcool? I heard a lot of people use Deathcool in G12 VW's. If you need to add some and are unsure, get Peak Global Lifetime, the closest thing to a universal coolant.

@roofless, what's the difference between a change and a flush at your shop?

I do know dexcool and g-12 are not the same. VW does not recommend dexcool in any of their vehicles.

Last edited:
As noted, unfortunately AF color is a very unreliable indicator of AF type and chemistry. Example, FCA Chrysler G-05 is orange-ish where Motorcraft Gold G-05 is golden in color. So, no way to be entirely sure based on the AF tint unless you know what was in there to begin with.

As for speculation of the spec G12 being the same as DexCool, I'll admit I don't know. I do know DexCool and the Dexclones use 2eha as a primary inhibitor. IF G12 or what Pentosin calls it's equivalent Pentofrost SF use 2eha, then I'd say Dex is safe to use. BUT, unless I knew that answer with 100% certainty I would not use DexCool in place of the spec AF. Linked below is the spec sheet for the recommended Pentosin PentoFrost SF. I'd think that would be a safe, though likely pricey option to add for make up. http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/Pentofrost_SF.pdf

Another option to add or with complete exchange would be Peak Global Lifetime. Long Life OAT AF with no 2eha. Similar characteristics to SF, spec sheet below.

http://images.peakauto.com/PEAK_Global_FS_spec_sheet_2015_noback_LORES.pdf

Thanks all. I will be topping off with the Peak Global, it will work with any of the options that could possible be in there right now. It is even amber in color as to not change the color of what I have. Come warmer weather I will be doing a complete flush and fill with the correct g-12 petosin SF. I would do it now but if I can get through a couple months to warmer weather I will be a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back