Coolant for GM-DAT cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Chevrolet Optra (aka Suzuki Forenza in USA) that will need its first coolant replacement this summer.

Presently there's a cloudy blue silicate based coolant in the tank. According to my manual, the only specs I need to follow is to use a good quality Ethylene Glycol Silicate Based coolant that meets GM 1825M.

I really want to avoid anything DexCool related... I've had a catastrophic head failure that may/may not be related to it in my last Saturn 96.

What would be your recommendations for this car, while avoiding possible warranty issues...

I'm located in Quebec, Canada... so desert heat isn't an issue for me :)

For those gun shy about DEX-COOL, then Zerex G-05 - which specifically lists meeting GM's 1825M general coolant spec. I doubt there'd be any waranty issues since G-05 does have silicates, albeit at reduced levels. The OEM coolant in my Sonata turned cloudy in less than two years, too. Hyundai's recommendation was nearly word-for-word to that of your Optra's owner's manual's coolant recommendation. However, I went with WalMart's SuperTech dexclone (blue-green) in mine nearly 19 months ago and never looked back. Still perfectly transparent. Haven't had to add a drop of makeup, either. (and I do have the issue of desert heat to contend with...)

Yes... and it failed outside of their "goodwill" extended warranty (car had 7 years at the time). I only managed to haggle a 25% rebate on the cost of the repairs.

I'm using Prestone's 5/150 Dexcool on my Aveo. No problems. Wouldn't be much with your Optra. The coolant system is pretty well designed. Can't say the same for the Vivant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back