Coolant Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
i flush mine, but after i fill it with water and drive around, then drain the system and fill it again about 4 times before adding coolant.

never had a problem wiht my 1991 honda accord...170k

quote:

Originally posted by road_rascal:
If one would just drain and refill the radiator on an annual basis, flushing would be a moot point, right? I did that on my old 1990 Dodge and never had any cooling/ radiator problems.

if you bought the car new then agreed and for the truck I bought new that is the case I just drained and refilled with 50/50 distilled water/coolant long before it was needed

but ringt now I am looking for a used landcruiser and almost all will have the original wore out coolant unless a problem has caused a drain/refill and if so there will be deposits from the contaminated municipal or worse well water

I think it was on a vinegar is good for you site. Drink it, remove stains, clean calcium, yadda yadda. I tried drinking it. Pretty grim stuff. It worked great boiling hot inside a rad anyway.

Another clean-as-you-drive product is the Schaeffers #258 Clean & Cool. Albeit harder to get, it has worked great for me. At least visually, the tops of the rad tubes, manifolds where the hoses connect (insides) and the thermostat/housing are free of any deposits or slime. It also stabilizes the coolant over time to prevent it from acidifying. Might work well in your case if you have the time to drive it around awhile.

I too subscribe to the several fill/drains with just distilled water. I make sure to disconnect the lower hose, open the petcock on the rad and open the drain bolt on the engine block to get out as much as possible. Parking the car nose down the driveway adds alittle gravity assist with the drain too. I do have to turn it around on the fill though to bleed out the air. I always measure how much comes out on the final drain and subtract that from the total capacity. This gives me a general idea how much DH2O is still in there and add/mix the coolant accordingly.

I'm a pipefitter by trade and do chill water systems.When we have to clean the scale out of cooling towers and pipe we add a de-scaler chemical to the shot feeder (1 gallon per 5000 gallons of water)and let it run thru the condensor water system.This includes the pipe,pumps,towers,and heat exchangers.Then we flush and add the proper chemicals to keep the system from scaling.Ive tried the de-scaler in a old Chevy and dayum,did it ever clean it! So good the brass was shiny!
shocked.gif

[ January 09, 2004, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: BlueOvalFitter ]

I'll vouch for the cooling system on the Cherokee being VERY tough on anti-freeze and all the other parts in the system. I truly believe the cooling system on the Cherokee's is very close to being undersized. And man, talk about a hot engine compartment! Add on top of that I have the dreaded "closed" system that features an expansion tank that is pressurized as part of the cooling system that cracks and or leaks at a bad cap for fun...

Of course the thing throws out heat like you wouldn't believe at -20F
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back