coolant filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever added a coolant filter to a passenger car/SUV? I was looking under the hood of the Grand Am my wife drives in the summer/spring months and it seems like it would be pretty easy to add in there.

I see no reason for that. Change the coolant at the recommended intervals and it is fine.

I have looked into these and there are 2 or 3 out there. But it may be a solution for a problem that no longer exists. Many who use them have engines from the 60s and 70s. And there are some expensive ones for certain diesel engines.

Use the recommended coolant and change it according to the manual. And if you use DexCool, keep an eye on it for the intake manifold gasket failures and in a few cases, radiator caps.

Were I to buy one, I would get one that goes in the heater hose, not radiator hose.

I added a spin on filter to the heater circuit of my 88 4Runner. Just for giggles really. If you have space to mount it give it a try.

I had a Tefba on a couple of vehicles. Still have one on my dads van. I did not see much material in the one I had on my Taurus.

You might want to just make a filter from hose end adapters with a screened washer. Then just install it in front of the heater core. It's not hard to do. I bought three of them and just have one still left on my dads van. I kind of lost track of the other 2. I see the Tefba is now $80 dollars a shot......
shocked2.gif
I wonder how much parts are.....

Last edited:
there have a few very good posts on this subject. did i say very good posts? yes yes VERY GOOD posts. i copied most of them.

I have a filter system on my Saturn. I've changed out the first filter and cut it open. I need to get a battery for my decent camera as my phone isn't good for close-ups. There is a fair amount of black particles caught in the pleats, as well as some stuff I can only describe as "sand". This cooling system has been drained and flushed several times, yet that stuff was still in there.

Was it worth it? Who knows? I think it's good that the stuff isn't going through my system anymore, though.

Look for some videos/write ups for ford diesel coolant filters. you'd be amazed what comes out.

I had a Tefba with the finer screen and over 1k miles it caught ZERO NODA ZIP..I even had a magnet on it for giggles. I drain my coolant every year

Originally Posted By: mattd
Look for some videos/write ups for ford diesel coolant filters. you'd be amazed what comes out.

TRUE - but I do not think one can equate that to other diesel or gas engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back