Coolant filter opened up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a background before getting onto the pictures. When I bought my Grand Marquis last May, the coolant was never replaced. All I know is that it was topped off when needed with regular tap water, and when the water pump was replaced, it was filled with Dexcool. It also had a leaking heater core, which is presently disconnected until I can afford the time to pull the dashboard for replacement.

A week after the purchase, I poured in two bottles of Liqui-Moly Radiator Cleaner and allowed the car to idle for 30 minutes as per the instructions. What came out was pretty much like chocolate pudding. When the water ran clean, I added 2 gallons of Motorcraft G-05 and considered it done.

However, the coolant kept getting darker, which was worrying. So I decided I would slowly replace the coolant by using a hand pump to remove what’s in the reservoir and add 2 liters of distilled water in its place until it was clean. Did this a couple of times, then I decided to try the fuel filter idea that was originally posted by Onion.

This filter (WIX 33032) was in service from 26 September 2010 to 26 April 2011, covering 18,730 km (11,706 miles). I recently decided to replace it, and thought I’d open it up and see what it looked like. If I forced pressurized water from the inlet, there was muddy water coming out from the other end with black particles. I did this until it ran clean, and opened up the filter. Here are the pictures:

dsc00237.jpg

dsc00238.jpg

dsc00244.jpg

dsc00245.jpg

dsc00246.jpg

dsc00247.jpg

dsc00248.jpg

dsc00250.jpg

dsc00251.jpg

dsc00252.jpg

dsc00254.jpg

Sure seems like there was high pressure drop which wouldnt help, but these filters arent necessarily designed for the temperature and pressure of the coolant system. Id be careful and/or find a purpose-made device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back