Coolant-Does it get depleted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not including a leak does automotive coolant get depleted over time? My 2006 Jeep requires HOAT coolant and I add coolant when she is hot to the max line but I notice that the level seems to go down very slowly after a few drives.Thanks Joe
whistle.gif

Your coolant level may be seeking it's normal level which might be a little lower than you expect. No flames, but I drain coolant out every 15k from the radiator and refill. I let it drain while I'm changing the oil. I don't flush the system but do this kind of drain and refill.

Back in the days of green coolant, shortly before the new class of coolants were introduced, a Ford engineer once showed me some coolant data. He showed me graphs of corrosion protection versus miles. With the green coolant, corrosion protection showed linear decay until it reached almost exactly 30K where there was no protection. The graph with OAT coolant flat-lined with high (as-new) corrosion protection for at least 150K.

If it's not leaking, no, it shouldn't be going anywhere. The coolant is going somewhere; Find out where.

I have a 06 wrangler as well,I wanted to drain the rad. and refill it.I bought zerex g-05 its yellow my factory fill is red.any problems mixing the two?

Quote:

My 02 jeep had GO-5 too. It was always disapearing. I bought some to keep the bottle topped off. I switched it to green last year and the level has not dropped since.
dunno.gif

I am using G-05 in both of my vehicles and it seems worse in the winter time that I have to add a bit. I think it must be due to the cold / hot cycle and - my guess on the Toyota is that there is a small amount getting past a hose connection or maybe even a head gasket. Not enough to drip to the ground so it must evaporate.
dunno.gif

On the other car, my Chrysler van, it does drip to the ground in winter after setting over night but not in the summer. I've tried to tighten the hose connections but it doesn't stop the very small quarter sized leak. Maybe I could pull the hoses and add some silcon lube at the ends but I don't want to dump all of the coolant and make a mess.

Like mentioned above, this is a coolant loss problem, and not an additive loss problem.
Maybe you are simply filling it too high, and it is puking out.

As far a coolant depletion goes check the Pencool site. I never change antifreeze anymore. This is what trucking companies use. I used it in my 1994 Dodge Ram with a 5.9 gas engine(old style green antifreeze) and after 100,000 miles the internals of the cooling system looked like new. You do have to monitor it. But it cuts corrosion to nothing. I had a Olds intrigue with the 100,000 dexcool after 80,000 the gunk was everywhere. This stuff is great, get the test strips with it and can be purchased at any heavy truck dealer. The website will tell you more.

Your coolant system is open to the outside air. Water evaporates over time...even if you have a closed cooling system. Also little air bubbles purge out and that causes a slight drop in the level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back